Wednesday, 23 October 2013

'Allegiant' (Divergent Trilogy, #3) by Veronica Roth: A Book Review

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.
But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningliess. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend to complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.



Hey, there!

This one's dedicated to all my fellow bookworms out there. Now, if you've been following my blog, you probably already know that I've been very excited for the release of the final book in the Divergent trilogy, Allegiant. It released, well, yesterday (the 22nd of October), and I've already finished reading it. Don't worry if you haven't - there are no spoilers in this review.

The word 'allegiant' means being steadfast in your devotion to a particular cause, government or faction. It means that nothing can stray you from working for your cause.
Unfortunately, not many of the characters in this book are allegiant. But I'll get to that later.
 



Well, I'll be honest. I did not find the book boring at all, not once from start to end. My mind was racing with questions, and I was desperately waiting for the answers. Sadly, I only found more questions and answers too hollow to satisfy my curiousity. 



The novel feels too rushed, now that I think of it. There's simply too much going on at once. The novel begins with a rebellion, and within half of the book, two more wars are raging - and I mean physical wars. If I were to talk about internal wars raging within the minds of the characters, then the number would quickly rise to a double digit. 

The story is told from a dual perspective, from those of Tobias and Tris, which makes it different from the previous two books which were narrated solely by Tris. 
The problem here is that author Veronica Roth knows how to write as the sixteen-year-old girl, Tris, with ease. But she has no idea how an eighteen-year-old boy's mind works, and it is because of this reason that both 'perspectives' are exactly the same. Tris and Tobias are two completely different individuals; they are supposed to think in different ways. 

I spent quite some time wondering whose perspective I was reading from when I was in the middle of any given chapter. I had to go back a couple of pages and reread to recall who the current narrator was. It did get easier to tell later on, though, but that wasn't because Veronica Roth suddenly discovered how to write as two different people - it was because Tris and Tobias get involved in very different situations, and I could relate the situations to the two protagonists to find out which one was which.


Another thing that stumped me - going back to my earlier point, the characters in this novel did not really prove their allegiance, especially towards the ending. It was as if the author was unsure how to approach the ending, so she gave characters traits that they had never shown before; she made them throw away everything they had been working on simply so that she could solve every problem in the novel. That does not happen. People cannot be swayed this easily, not even in a book. 


Then there's the ending. Well, almost everybody hates the ending, as I can clearly see from all the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. 
I didn't mind it, though. I thought it made sense, because it was one place where the character's ideals did not suddenly change to give way for the book to end. If there was any allegiance in this book, it was to do with the ending, where people remain loyal to who they really are, and what they think they are living for. But it could have been written in a much better way. I personally think the ending could have been different altogether - same situation, but the characters switched. It would have helped to show the importance of redemption, it would have proved that bravery and selflessness can be shown by anyone, when the time comes. 

Let's just say that my allegiance is with the entire Divergent Trilogy, because of which I am not as disappointed with this book as I'd thought I would be. I hadn't expected this one to be the best - it is very difficult to end a book series well. Mockingjay was my least favourite in THG series, and even Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows wasn't as good as the other Potter books. 

This book could have been amazing had it been edited a couple more times. It's not because of the ending - no, the fact that it should have been altered is simply my personal opinion. The entire story has too many errors (plot holes, lack of character development, people changing their minds for no apparent reason) that seem insignificant at first, but when they come together, it's simply too much.

I'm going with 2.5 stars out of 5 for this one.

Do I recommend this book to others? Yes, even though this book was something of a letdown, because overall, this trilogy has impacted me in a way I never thought it would. I don't regret being a part of this fandom, because in some ways it is who I am. 

I am Abnegation, Erudite, Dauntless, Amity and Candor. I am Divergent. :)

2 comments:

  1. Love your review and completely agree. Everything is rushed together. whats the deal with Marcus? what happens with the fringe? or the rest of the experiments? Too many questions left. I hate the ending and think one certain character should have came back and saved her, finally being selfless. I guess I will just rewrite the story ending in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I think Veronica should have taken a couple more months to work on this book... maybe then it wouldn't be such a big question mark! :\

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)