Wednesday, 6 November 2013

5 Ways to Deal with Exam Stress

Hey, guys! :)

I'm sorry I haven't been posting as regularly as I used to... I've been quite busy with school, upcoming exams, and my novel (which I've almost finished, by the way!!).

Anyway, I haven't exactly learnt how to ace my exams and chill out at the same time, but I do know a few tips to survive the exam fever that we're all so scared of.
Nobody likes exams, except maybe Hermione Granger.

You're the best, 'Mione!

If you think that we nerds just looove tests, you're wrong. We don't.
But whether you like examinations or not, you still have to take them, and hopefully do well. The problem is that studying is stressful, somewhat boring, and can get too monotonous. So, here's what you can do to make studies (relatively) fun, and tackle those exams with a biiiiig smile on your face!

1) Do NOT procrastinate:

I know you must have heard this tip about a zillion times by now: Start preparing at least six months before the exam - or even a year beforehand, if you can!
Well, maybe not a year... but a month in advance is good enough for finals (but if you haven't paid attention in class at all, then you should start a year in advance, yes). The important thing to remember here is that you can't expect yourself to study every subject every single day, because you probably won't be able to process that much information! Instead, work on areas where you're weak first, and then move to topics that you're good at. :)

No need to fear exams if you're prepared, right? 

2)  Quality > Quantity:

If someone tells you that you have to study a certain number of hours every single day, then don't believe them. You could spend eight hours a day studying, sure. But your mind will probably shut down after the third hour, and the remaining five hours will have been wasted.
Instead, concentrate on whatever you're studying for about an hour or two, and then give yourself the break you deserve! Also, mix it up - don't do the same subject for too many days, because then you'll be bored out of your wits. Try something different for a change!

Remember that even half an hour of focused learning is better than spending three hours drifting in and out of a semi-conscious state of mind!

3) Get yourself a study-buddy:

That's what I did (hey, Rosh, if you're reading this!), and it helped me a lot, especially with theory subjects. Of course, here I mean a buddy who can actually help you understand topics better. Even tutoring a friend, or being tutored by your friend, can make a big difference, because your brain will tend to remember things better if it's your bestie who's talking! :D
I can't vouch for the fact that study groups work out well - personally, I think it isn't a recipe for success - but it works for you, go ahead!

4) Get enough sleep:

Your brain will definitely work well if it's well rested. Don't deny yourself a good night's sleep to study more, especially when you're already tired. Then again, if you find that your mind is at its sharpest at one in the morning, try that out, but be sure to get at least six hours of sleep daily. Sacrificing your Z's is not going to help in the short run or the long run!

A tired mind never does its best. Think about that. 

5) It's only an exam:

"Whoa, Swati, how can you say that? These are the board exams, for heaven's sake!!" 
 
Yeah, no. Whether it's a unit test or a semester exam, don't sweat yourself too much over it. At the end of the day, an exam is, simply put, just another obstacle that you have to get past in life.
And even if you don't get past it, it's not the end of the world! You can try again and succeed, too, if you believe in yourself.

I remember thinking that the tenth grade board exams would be the scariest thing I'd ever have to face, but the only difference was that I was sitting in a different test centre, and we had answer booklets instead of sheets.

There are already so many people pressurising you to get great marks in the exams - your parents, or your teachers - so why do the same thing yourself? Let it go. Just smile, and do as much as you can do. :)
 
And he's a teacher. So listen to him!

Don't compete with others to get the higest mark - compete with yourself to do better than last time, because that's what winners do!
And remember this...

:)

I hope this blog post helped you deal with exam fever. If you have any study tips yourself, be sure to tell me what they are in the comments below!
Also, if you want me to make a post about a specific topic, do tell me, and I'll try my best to write something on it. :)

Until next time, pals!

6 comments:

  1. Take a minute off each day and smile. Smile for all the blessings you have. Then you feel all warm and fuzzy and whatever you study goes into your brain better. Trust me, it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. Happiness always helps. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Hey Swats! :D
    Yup, I completely agree with all the tips, especially the "Study-Buddy" one. I still remember what "not chewing your pencil" stands for! xD
    Now, to add to the tips: Listen to some music that interests you. Helps a lot in distressing. I've tried that on myself and it works like magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh, all the 'pencil' examples we used to learn that chapter! XD

      Delete
  3. Oh, I forgot! A suggestion for a topic to write...I was thinking you should really write one on F.R.I.E.N.D.S- anything about it. I'm not being particular because just anything about it (or them) is awesome. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true... I'll try to write one. Thanks for the suggestion, Rosh! :D

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)