Sunday, 3 November 2013

'The Perfect Match (Blue Heron #2)' by Kristan Higgins: A Book Review


What if the perfect match is a perfect surprise?
Honor Holland has just been unceremoniously rejected by 
her lifelong crush. And now—a mere three weeks later—
Mr. Perfect is engaged to her best friend. But resilient, reliable Honor is going to pick herself up, dust herself off and get back out there...or she would if dating in Manningsport, NY, population 715, wasn’t easier said than done. 
Charming, handsome British professor Tom Barlow just wants to do right by his unofficial stepson, Charlie, but his visa 
is about to expire. Now Tom must either get a green card or leave the States—and leave Charlie behind.
In a moment of impulsiveness, Honor agrees to help Tom with a marriage of convenience—and make her ex jealous in the process. But juggling a fiancé, hiding out from her former best friend and managing her job at the family vineyard isn’t easy. And as sparks start to fly between Honor and Tom, they might discover that their pretend relationship is far too perfect to be anything but true love...

Hey, guys!

So we got the last couple of days off from school for Diwali... and I spent my time in the best possible way - reading, of course! :D

The Perfect Match is a lovely romance novel and the second in the Blue Heron series by Kristan Higgins.
As you can see from the plot blurb, the hero in this novel is British. British! And his name is Tom, which is one of my favourite hot-guy names (google Tom Felton if you don't believe me).


I loved Honor's character, too, because she's a strong, independent woman who shows a ton of character development by the end of the book. Actually, it's really difficult to dislike any of Kristan's main characters, because they're so... real.

Every Higgins novel has a vast pool of characters, and all of them are two-dimensional. None of them is perfect - they all have their virtues and vices. Plus, there's so much going on in the novel at once. That's one thing I like to do with my writing, too.
For example, if you're writing a romance novel, and you take off the love story, will there still be something going on, or is the result just a blank canvas?
Higgins' novels are never blank. There are so many layers to one book, and the stories of love, family and friendship are interwoven together in a way that I haven't seen any other romance author do!
 

Alright, let's get to the actual review of the book. When I started reading, I wasn't very interested, I'll admit. I'd found the concept of best-friend-gets-the-guy a little clichéd, and the 'Mr. Perfect', Brogan Cain, reminded me of a few men from her other books. But though I knew her best friend Dana was going to bag the guy, I didn't understand how that was going to happen. So I read on. That's the thing about Higgins' novels - they just pull you right in!

Tom and Honor meet only a little later in the novel, but when they do, it is hilarious.


Actually, all of their scenes will either make you laugh, swoon with passion, cry out in frustration (oh, just marry each other already!), or wipe away a teeny little tear (when you think nobody's looking). These two are not a boring couple, that's for sure. And they definitely are a perfect match, though, just like Honor, I'd doubted it in the first couple of chapters.


Another aspect of the story that wasn't letting me put the book down was Charlie, Tom's unofficial stepson. His behaviour right from the beginning is complex - I hope that we teenagers aren't all that difficult, are we? - but as the story progresses, I loved how he starts to open up to Tom and even takes a liking to Honor and her family... but then in typical K-Higgs fashion, the rug is pulled out from under the reader's feet, and Charlie almost completely goes back to his old ways - I won't say how or why, in case you haven't read the book yet - but it almost made me want to punch someone.
 
Don't worry, though, because there is a happy ending to his story, too. :)

Tom and Honor's relationship has its ups and downs - for a while, it's just... down, but the ending will make up for it in grand fashion, like every K-Higgs novel (the ending of My One and Only comes to mind). By the time the epilogue rolled around, there were tears of joy (this is such a good book!) and tears of sorrow (why did the good book have to end?) in my eyes.

Long story short, I loved it, just like every novel this woman writes!

I'm going to go with 4 stars out of 5 for this one.
Even though it was amazing, somehow it didn't tug at my heartstrings as much as Fools Rush In, My One and Only and Until There Was You did.

The third book in the Blue Heron series, Waiting on You, comes out sometime in spring 2014. That's... a long way away. :(
 

Do read this book if you love romance or chick-lit, and if you've already finished it, tell me what you liked or didn't like about it in the comments below!

Let's only hope that my romance novels turn out half as good as Kristan Higgins' books one day! :)

1 comment:

  1. Subhamastu is a growing kamma matrimony website, matrimony service exclusive for kamma's around the world. Search kamma brides, kamma grooms and kamma community matching profiles for your life partner here.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)