Saturday, 23 November 2013

What is Bravery?


Hello, dear readers! :)

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about life and people. Why do some people fight for their cause, even if it seems like they've got no chance? Why do they care about protecting their family, friends, even strangers? What keeps them going? Finally, I've come to a conclusion: bravery.

So what is bravery? Well, different people could define it in different ways. Some, perhaps, think being brave is when you willingly immerse yourself in a tub full of spiders or bugs. Some believe that being able to shoot a gun without flinching is bravery.

My views are a little different.

I've already mentioned a few things about bravery in a previous post (click here to read), that being fearless is about facing your fears and having the courage to deal with them.
But that's not all that it includes. The Dauntless faction manifesto from the Divergent trilogy perfectly explains my definition of bravery:
"We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

She's brave, McGonagall. :)

Isn't that what real courage is all about, standing up for your beliefs, for your morality? Being brave is about fighting for what is right and helping those who are in need. If you see something wrong happening, even if there are a thousand people for it, you have to raise your voice and oppose it!
Bravery is more than just getting an adrenaline rush - it takes courage to get over your fear of heights and stand atop a cliff, but even more to do the right thing.

Going by this definition, I have to be honest: I haven't seen a lot of brave people around me. Sometimes even I'm not as brave as I'd like to be; I'm trying to change that.  People are far too busy being scared of what others will think of them to actually live life on their own terms. People are afraid to stand up for others because they don't want to become the 'next target'.

Please, stop. 

People would much rather just pretend that they can't see the bad things that happen, because why bother if there's nothing for them to gain by fighting it?

Here lies the main problem. Most people are cowards by choice. They are so scared, deep down, of being brave, that they would much rather laugh with the crowd than stand by the victim. They have a conscience, of course, but they would still live with the guilt of watching others in pain, becase it's a 'better choice' compared to actually doing something about it.

Haters are cowards. Show them how to be brave!

If someone had been there to stand up for me when I was the victim, I would have had a much happier childhood. But no one did. Now, there are two different lessons I can learn from this incident: one, that people are bad, and I should never help them; or two, that if there's anything I can do to ease someone else's pain, I should do it.

I picked the second option.

If you want this world to be a better place, then make that choice! Be the change. It might be easier to just walk away and hope it doesn't happen to you, but easy isn't always right. Bravery is.

You really are! Fight for what's right and you'll definitely win. 

I hope you liked reading today's post. How would you define bravery? Do tell me in the comments below! ^_^
I'll see you all next time, with another new post. Bye-bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)