Thursday, 26 December 2013

'Dhoom 3' Movie Review

How's it hanging, pals?

So I just spent Boxing Day watching Dhoom 3 on the big screen.
 

I had heard mixed reviews about this movie. Apparently people found it too cheesy, emotional and melodramatic. So I went into the theatre expecting it to be just another Dhoom movie.

And that's exactly what it was!

Dhoom 3 is not just an action-packed, car-chase movie. It's a Bollywood movie, that too a part of the Dhoom trilogy. So if you go in, expecting it to be some sort of mindblowing, life-changing cinema, then you will be disappointed. But keep your expectations low, and you might even love it!

At least the first hour of the movie is spent introducing all the characters, and of course that means three or four songs. The plot - and the movie - really picks up after the intermission, but it still doesn't make up for the somewhat slow first half.

Aamir Khan's name is the first that comes to mind when I think of 'acting'. It's the same in this movie. Aamir plays Sahir, the 'clown', a man of vengeance. This a villain that you'll want to root for. Make no mistakes - this clown isn't here to provide comedic relief (Uday Chopra does that, as Ali, the gal-crazy cop who almost always messes things up).
Aamir's acting is perhaps one of the things that saves this movie from going wrong. His role is quite challenging, but he pulls it off - as always! Hats off, Aamir!


See what I did there? 

Uday Chopra... well, he'll make you laugh weakly. I have nothing else to say about him.

Abhishek Bachchan, as ACP Jai Dixit, is alright. He plays the expressionless, moody cop quite well, but his performance doesn't really impact you as much as Aamir's does.

Katrina Kaif plays Aaliya, the 'Asian Goddess' who can sing and dance like liquid electricity (that dialogue's in the movie, I take no credit for it!).
 

I guess I had thought her role would be as big as Aishwarya's from D2, but I was wrong. She doesn't really contribute much to the story, to be honest. She's not the best actress around, so maybe that's why they cut back on the speaking and gave her the dancing instead.
But when she dances, you won't be able to take your eyes off her. She hasn't looked this beautiful in any other movie, and the songs are a lot more bearable with her around.

The romance between Sahir and Aaliya is much more believable that I'd thought. They still don't make the perfect match, in my opinion, but then again, this is supposed to be an action film, not a romantic one.
 

Now, let's talk about the bikes, the cars (well, one autorickshaw) and the stunts.
Almost every sequence is played out in slow-motion, and you might even end up laughing because of it. Aamir's bikes are state-of-the-art, and can change into speedboats. Abhishek and Uday's bikes... I swear they changed models between shots!
But apart from that, the action is quite good (I found myself on the edge of my seat very often), and the classic Dhoom music makes it much more epic.

I did find a few plot holes, though. Why didn't the police just shoot Sahir when he was feet away from them? What were they waiting for? I understand that they might harm pedestrians accidentally when he was on the road, but they were a lot of moments when it was just the cops vs. the criminal. Why couldn't the Chicago police shoot him in the leg or the arm when they first saw him escaping?
Also, if young Sahir's father (played by Jackie Shroff), didn't have enough money to keep The Great Indian Circus up and running, then how did Sahir acquire it again? Are we supposed to assume that he raided a few other banks so he could buy the circus back?

I'll give this movie 3.5 stars out of 5. 


If you're an Aamir fan or a Dhoom fan, then by all means watch this movie. You'll like it, just as I did. But don't use too many of those brain cells, or you'll end up frustrated.

Have you already seen D3? Did you like it, love it or hate it? Let me know in the comments below.

Until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)