Saturday, 5 April 2014

'Just One of the Guys' by Kristan Higgins: A Book Review



"Being one of the guys isn't all it's cracked up to be... So when journalist Chastity O'Neill returns to her hometown, she decides it's time to start working on some of those feminine wiles. Two tiny problems: #1 - she's five feet eleven inches of rock-solid girl power, and #2 - she's cursed with four alpha male older brothers.

While doing a story on local heroes, she meets a hunky doctor and things start to look up. Now there's only one problem: Trevor Meade, her first love and the one man she's never quite gotten over - although he seems to have gotten over her just fine.

Yet the more time she spends with Dr. Perfect, the better Trevor looks. But even with the in-your-face competition, the irresistible Trevor just can't seem to see Chastity as anything more than just one of the guys...."




Ah, Kristan Higgins! She's one of my favourite authors for sure, especially when it comes to romance and chick-lit novels.
This isn't one of her latest novels - she actually published this way back in 2008. But I only just got my hands on it because I never really wanted to read a book about a tall, strong woman who's just one of the guys. I assumed it'd be boring because I'm the complete opposite of the main character.

How wrong was I!

In some ways, I'm glad I didn't read this book earlier, because it made this experience so much better! The first time you read a book, it's... special. The anticipation, the knowledge that anything could happen in the next few pages - anything! Nothing beats reading a book for the first time.
And so I spent a lovely afternoon lounging on the living room couch, reading Just One of the Guys, a smile plastered on my face throughout. I laughed, sobbed a little and enjoyed myself as I dove headfirst into Chastity and Trevor's love story.

Oh, Chas and Trev! One part I always adore in Kristan's books - the back story. A few chapters into the book, we find out what happened the first time they got together, and why it ended. Somehow the back story always leaves me wanting more (in a good way), because it's that well-written!
The same goes for Chastity and Trevor. Their first love story is amazing. I was hooked on their romance the moment I finished reading that chapter.

Then again, most of the novel is focused on Chastity's relationship with the hunky doctor (see the plot summary above) and her friendship with Trevor. It's only towards the end that their friendship takes a new level.
I just wish we'd been given a more detailed explanation of how - and why - Trevor fell for her. 

Apart from the main plot, there are other stories told in the novel - about Chastity's firefighter brothers, the crumbling marriage of her parents, an evil coworker and a hacker planning to ruin Chastity's reputation.
I was satisfied with all except the hacker storyline. I was sort of expecting the unexpected, but the revelation at the end left me a little disappointed.


I thought I wouldn't relate to Chastity at all. I was right, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the story and liking her character. She's fierce, independent and extremely fit. Hey, I love being petite, but I wouldn't mind being a little more like Chas! :)

Kristan's writing is crisp, romantic and utterly hilarious. However, I don't have any quotes that I can claim as my favourites because I don't have my copy anymore, and I couldn't find any quotes online.
Instead, you can check out an excerpt from the novel on her website here.

I'm going to go with 4 stars out of 5 for this one.

To conclude, I loved Just One of the Guys! It's not on my list of top five Higgins novels, but I think it would come a close sixth. If you're a lover of love stories, be sure to check this one out.

I'm currently reading Kristan's newest book, Waiting on You. I will let you know how it turns out. Until then, keep reading, grinning and enjoying, Geeks.

Bye!

4 comments:

  1. This book looks so interesting, next time I go Waterstones, I'll make sure I get this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll recommend some other Higgins novels, too: My One and Only, Until There Was You, All I Ever Wanted, Too Good to be True and Fools Rush In are my favourites.
      Hope you like 'em! :)

      Delete
  2. I just read the excerpt. Interesting! :D "Breathing. It's so underrated." So true!
    Chas seems to resemble Robin Scherbatsky in a lot of ways, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that date part was funny. XD
      Yes, she is... though Robin doesn't want to settle down, but Chastity does.
      By the way, Neha's on a Kristan Higgins diet lately.
      She finishes one book every day. XD

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)