Saturday, 24 May 2014

A Letter to My Sixteen-Year-Old Self

Dear Sixteen-year-old Swati,


So what have you been up to? I already know the answer to this question, but it's common courtesy to ask. Oh, wait, did I forget to introduce myself? I'm you, two years into the future. Though I should mention that I'm a much better Swati than you are right now.
I know what you're thinking: "A better Swati? Surely that means you must be popular, attractive, the class topper and loved by every person you know." Well, you're both right and wrong.

I'm not popular in the cheerleader-jock high school way, but I like to think that I've established myself in the blogging world. I don't know if I'm attractive according to the world, but I do know that I like the way I look. I do my best in school and get good grades but I wouldn't call myself the class topper. I may not be loved by everyone, but I mean the world to my family and friends.

These things probably make no difference to you, kiddo. Right now, you're hanging out with the wrong friends. You couldn't care less about your family. You're obsessed with your marks (remember that time you cried when you got a B in Maths?) and you're a complete people-pleaser.
Right now, you hate your life and you feel like it's never going to get better.

But just give me a chance and listen to what I have to tell you.

In just a year, you're going to realise who your true friends are and who your best friend always was. They're the friends you're going to sit next to on Graduation Day when your family takes your picture. They're the friends with whom you'll discuss books, movies and the complexity of life. Your best friend will be the craziest and yet the sweetest person you'll know.
And the sister you take for granted? She'll be the best thing in your life and the greatest friend you'll ever have.

You're going to start a blog. It won't be the best one out there; it won't be the most popular blog on the internet. And yet it will be one of your biggest accomplishments. It will make you proud.
(Also, your dear sister will give you the idea to use GIFs in each post. That's what will make your blog awesome.)


 This might come as a shock to you, but you will fail a Maths preboard. And you will cry. A LOT. But then you'll get over it, and soon it won't make a difference in your life. You'll just learn from your mistakes and work harder.

You'll stop caring what people think or say about you. It will still hurt, but you won't let it get to your head. You'll be much braver than you are right now. You'll do your best to keep others from being bullied. You won't be afraid to stand up for the right thing.

You're also going to become a fangirl soon enough. You're going to re-read all your favourite books and re-live those wonderful experiences. You're going to try your hand at fanfiction and fail, but hey! At least you tried, right?
You will be a real bookworm now. There's no turning back! You will be happy about being an introvert instead of pretending to be an extrovert. You won't try to fit in at parties but will instead stay home and spend time with your loved ones (and your books).

You'll spend a week next summer in London, and you'll visit the Harry Potter studios. That will be the best day of your life. (Also, your hair will look stunning in London because there's no humidity there.)


Don't worry, your braces will come off, and you'll switch to contact lenses in a couple of years. You'll gain some weight and start fitting into those killer Forever New jeans you've been eyeing lately.

What else? You're only just starting to learn French, aren't you? You'll be pleased to know that you will soon be almost completely fluent in French, so you'll decide to learn German as well! You're going to be very frustrated at times, but you're also going to enjoy watching your favourite movies in these languages - and actually understanding some of the dialogues. You'll also be able to sing the French version of 'Let It Go' without reading the lyrics or mispronouncing any word. You'll sing it about ten times a day and annoy your sister.

So relax, dear girl. My life is amazing, which means yours will be too. Stop fretting, start smiling, and just keep living. Things will start looking up soon enough.

Hang in there,
You

 
_____________________________________________________________________
What would you say to your younger self? I want to know, so pour your thoughts into the comments below. See you later, Geeks! :)

6 comments:

  1. Aww this is such a cute idea!! I loved reading this! (Even though... Are you really eighteen? <3 ahah I don't think I ever asked for your age but I think I guessed for you to be about 16/15... sorry for offending you, if I did!) Anyway, I really enjoyed it! (Your sister is a genius for the GIF idea :P) I think my letter would be about the same, except for the part of having a popular blog! (^0^) xx (I nominated you for Liebster Award, by the way! You'll be able to see the post tomorrow! <3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I turned eighteen a few months ago. :)
      Hey, you have an amazing blog that a lot of people love. That's what really matters!
      Thanks for the Liebster award. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. Just wow.

    First of all, the HIMYM gifs made my day! Barney's expression = Awesome! :D

    Second, the fact you managed to bounce back after something like that in your pre-boards is amazing. A friend of mine is dealing with Math-phobia too (so am I, for that matter but her case is mose severe), and I am totally making her read your blog!

    And third, I absolutely love this post because I can relate with a lot of things you mentioned above. I also used to think that popularity, grades, looks etc are everything but thankfully, now I know better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soo much, Anushka!!
      Well, rumour has it that our board results are coming out tomorrow... I hope I can bounce back after finding out my Maths marks! :)

      Delete
  3. Hhahah I am sure u looked cute with those braces and specs.. For some reason I always had respect for those with braces. No logic.
    Also, when your 16 yr old self wanted to gain weight to fit into those jeans..My 16 yr old wnated to shed 20 kilos to fit into human sized jeans..Thankfully now I do. haha!!

    I also wrote a letter to my 16yr old self last month.
    http://anuglyhead.blogspot.in/2014/04/an-open-letter-to-my-16-year-old-self.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post-pubescent self has always been different... mostly because of my high metabolism. :P

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)