Tuesday, 20 May 2014

Why Your Marks Don't Define You.


It's that time of the year again for most people my age. Yes, we're all expecting our board results - the results that will apparently 'make or break' our lives. Well, I'm here to tell you that your marks aren't going to make much of a difference in the long run.

I don't know why, but almost all my peers believe that this phase of board exams is the most important one in our lives. I'm sorry, but I think there are bigger things in life than marks. The moment when you meet the One, or the friends that will stand by you when you're on your deathbed; the moment when you find your dream job or quit the job you hate so much; the moment when you finally have time to do what you love instead of what you're supposed to do... aren't these things greater and better than an exam result?


Now you're thinking, "But Swati, my marks will define what job I get or what friends I make. The better my marks, the better my life will be!"
I'm sure doing well in exams will help you in life, and it'll help you get into a good college and find a great job and make tons of money. But not doing well in one exam will not stop you from doing any of those things. The fact remains that most people don't care whether you get a 78 or 98 in your finals, because they know that intelligence or hard work or kindness cannot be measured only by the percentage of your marks.

And if you think that some people won't want to talk to you because you're not a topper... well, would you really want to be friends with such people? I know I wouldn't.

We're all being pressurised by our parents and our teachers to do extremely well in the board exam because it's the most important exam of your life. But it really isn't. I guarantee that the most important test of your life won't have a syllabus or a marking scheme and you may not even have time to prepare for it. I can't predict what kind of exam it will be. But I can promise you that it will change your life, for better or for worse. A tiny board exam is not going to change anything.


So please, don't be hard on yourself about your marks. No matter what happens, you will still have your entire life ahead of you. You'll have the love of your friends and family. You will always have yourself.
I wrote this post to convince you as well as myself that marks don't matter, and I can definitely say that I'm not as anxious as I was before.
What are marks, after all? Numbers on a piece of paper? You are much bigger than this piece of paper.

You're awesome! :)

9 comments:

  1. Great post! Very encouraging too!
    Did you post it today because the CBSE 10th results were due? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)
    Yes, and also because it means ours is due soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome write up.A lot of people fail to understand these facts. I hope your views reach to the mass and change the mindset of the Indian students and their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the ounce of hope I needed. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To quote President Snow from the first THG movie: "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." :)

      Delete
  5. I scored amazing during 10th grade...messed up in 12th...still for into a NLU and now got a decent job. So yes marks do not matter.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)