Saturday, 21 June 2014

People Who Annoy Me #4: Book Haters!

It's been a while since my last 'People Who Annoy Me' post, hasn't it?

Howdy, partners! Today I want to talk about the people that really, really annoy me: the kind that hates books.
How can anyone hate books? That's like saying you hate knowledge, or entertainment, or going on adventures! A book is like a portal to a new world where you can meet all kinds of people without feeling shy or scared or annoyed!


From what I've seen, the people who say they hate books are usually one of three types.

You have the ones who have never even tried to read novels. They don't like their school textbooks, so they automatically assume that all books - even those of the fiction genre - are a waste of time.
It's like if I say I hate popcorn without ever tasting it, because I don't like corn on the cob. (And that's impossible, because there isn't a single universe out there where I could ever hate popcorn or corn on the cob.)
How can you hate something you've never experienced?


Then there are those who haven't found their book-soulmate yet, so they automatically think that all books are stupid. These people don't annoy me as much, because it's not their fault. At least they tried!
Hey, if you find books boring, then you haven't found the right book yet. For starters, try out these works of art:
Harry Potter
The Hunger Games
Pride and Prejudice
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
The Bell Jar
Fangirl
And then tell me you don't like reading!

The third kind is the most common kind. I bet everyone knows at least five such people. These book haters won't come right out and say that they don't like reading. Instead they'll use excuses like "I just don't find the time to read". How is that possible?

I read while brushing my teeth, while waiting at the doctor's office, when I'm bored, before going to bed, when I'm eating... basically, most of the time!

I feel like if you really want to do something, then you'll take the time out for it. So if you, dear reader, fall under this category, here's some advice: if you don't want to read books, then just say it. This 'time' excuse isn't believable at all.

To conclude, I want to clarify that I don't hate book haters; I just don't understand them. I've been a bookworm ever since I was a little kid, and I just can't imagine what one would do if one didn't like reading.

I obviously can't force you to read, and neither do I want to. But I would like to know why some people don't find books amusing. So if you're a book hater, let me know in the comments below: why don't you like reading?
If you love reading like me, I want to know which book it was that turned you into a crazy bookworm. For me, it was Harry Potter.


I hope no one was offended by this post, because that certainly wasn't my intention. ^_^
Bye-bye!

2 comments:

  1. I used to read all the time when I was in high school but nowadays I don't read much. I spend too much of my time on my laptop... I should really set at least 30 minutes each day to read a book. I know, that's probably a little bit of time compared to what you read daily, but at least it's a start for me to get back into reading more frequently :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you enjoy reading, even 10 minutes a day is good enough. What matters is the joy you get from the wonderful world of books! :)
      Thanks fo reading my blog, Jessica!

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)