Saturday, 9 August 2014

5 Ways to Feel Better When You're Sick


Most of the posts I write are usually related to my current situation. So yes, I am suffering from a very bad cold, thanks to the rainy weather here - not to mention the fact that almost all my roommates are sick, too.

Here are some things you - and I - can do to get well soon when we're ill.

1) Don't overdose on medicine:
No matter what you do, your cold is not going to go away in one day. There's no point having four or five tablets daily. Limit yourself to two tablets a day, or consult a doctor if you're unsure.
Personally, I'm very petite and medicine makes me incredibly sleepy, so I only have half a tablet at a time.

2) Don't exert yourself:
Health is one of the most important things in life. No matter what class you have or what meeting you have, try to get as much rest as you can. If it's nothing important, just go home. Your brain is not going to cooperate with you if you're sick. There's no point straining yourself. Get plenty of rest and sleep whenever you can. No all-nighters allowed, Geeks!


3) Don't starve yourself:
I never feel like eating when I'm sick. My appetite completely disappears and all I feel like doing is sleeping.
Sleep is great, but you have to make sure to give your body some energy so it can kick some virus ass while you rest. Even if you're not hungry, have some fruit, warm soup, green tea, soy milk and drink lots of water. Starving is never the answer.

4) Entertain yourself:
I tend to get very emotional when I'm sick. For example, I talked to my mother on the phone and almost burst into tears when she asked me how I was feeling. I don't know why it happened, but it did, and that almost-crying feeling only made my headache and runny nose worse.
Grab your laptop and watch your favourite Youtube videos or TV shows. Listen to upbeat songs. Exchange corny jokes with your Dad. Avoid anything emotional - now would be a good time to catch up on your daily dose of laughter.


5) Stay positive:
I know it's difficult to feel happy when you're sick. This is possibly the first time that I've been sick without my mother to take care of me, and I can't tell you how much I miss her. (Oh, great, I'm getting emotional again. What is up with that?)
Feeling like shit will not make you feel better. You have to stay positive and remind yourself that you are strong and awesome. You've been through this before and you'll get through this illness again. Remember to entertain yourself, and smile and laugh as much as you can. 

I'm going to have some dal rice, take my medicine and go to bed early. Hope I get better over the weekend - and you, too, if you're ill.

Stay excellent, friends!

6 comments:

  1. Nice post! :D hehe
    Drop by my site? If you want we can follow each other via GFC. Just let me know!

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally hate taking any type of medication so when I'm sick I usually just sleep it off. :) Also, I just cannot take pills.

    I also lose my appetite when sick... it's just because ughh why bother eating? :P Loved the post though! Hope you get well soon, Swati!

    Yasmine | Cloudy Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better now, actually. And I've been super hungry all day. No matter how much I eat, my stomach just wants more and more. So I guess that's a sign I'm getting better! ^_^

      Delete
  3. Oh I hope u get well soooooooooooooooooon.
    And yes follow these pointers tooooo.. The woman who wrote this is excellent :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Red! I think I'll be completely fine by tomorrow. :)

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)