Sunday, 16 November 2014

'Boyhood' Movie Review


Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Boyhood is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason, who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Boyhood charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before. Snapshots of adolescence from road trips and family dinners to birthdays and graduations and all the moments in between become transcendent, set to a soundtrack spanning the years from Coldplay's Yellow to Arcade Fire's Deep Blue. Boyhood is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting. 

An anonymous reader asked me to review this movie a few days ago, and this was my first review request, so of course I had to go and watch this film!

You don't get too many films like this one. This one doesn't really have a story, per se. There's no shocker in the middle of the film, there's no climax towards the end. This film is very general, but it's not generic.


It starts off very well, with some amazing music by Coldplay, and the first half will completely suck you in as you relive your own childhood, full of sibling rivalry and fandom moments and moving to new cities and schools (at least in my case). The first half is also very funny, but at the same time, it isn't light-hearted. There are a few moments which are very tragic and, unfortunately, a tad too dramatic.

The dialogues are very witty and the music is simply lovely. Watching all the actors age in front of your eyes is also really enjoyable.

However, as much as I related to the first half, I couldn't relate to the 'teenage' moments at all, although I'm sure many of my fellow classmates could. I was never a rebellious kid and I never really succumbed to peer pressure the way many people did and still do.
I guess in a way, the second half was sort of a let-down. Mason, as a child, is very likeable, but as a teenager... he becomes so clich├ęd! So does his sister, as a matter of fact. 


And a few moments do seem to drag... it doesn't help that the movie, within around 165 minutes, tells a story spanning 12 years. 

But at the end of the day, you don't get too many movies like this, whether English or Hindi. And with so many mind-numbing and brainless Bollywood movies releasing every week, it's good that we still have some sensible cinema to look forward to. 

I'm going to go for 3.5 stars out of 5 for this one. 
Great acting, dialogues and music, but if you don't have any patience, skip this one. Or, you know, if you're under 18, don't watch this. Because it's rated R for language.
Otherwise, keep an open mind and enjoy this movie. Be sure to check out the trailer below.



Thanks to the anonymous reader who requested this review. You rock, stranger! 

And the rest of you lovely readers - feel free to request any sort of blog post that you'd like me to write. Seriously, you have no idea how happy I feel when I realise that people actually like reading the stuff that I post online.


I've got exams just around the corner, but I've got a ton of ideas for some more blog posts this week. Stay tuned, Geeks. Bye. :)

12 comments:

  1. Hello Swati Hegde. i think your review was quiet helpful. can you please write a review on interstellar...please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Although I've seen Interstellar, I won't be able to review it because it was a little too scientific and technical for my liking.
      That's probably why I liked Inception much more. Still, 4/5 stars for Interstellar.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but it sounds interesting! Adding it to my TBR pile. :)

      Delete
  3. wow i really wanted to see this one for so long idek but the damn externals ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Exams. Can't wait till this semester ends. :D

      Delete
    2. Ikr and our exams are at such an odd time, like most colleges have already had and we don't even get good long vacationvacations ugh

      Delete
    3. Yeah...but hey, one week before the new semester is pretty good. Wait, it IS one week, right?

      Delete
    4. Yeah one week is all we'll get to sleep and watch movies and all and then next sem

      Delete
    5. But next semester's subjects seem to be way more interesting than the first semester's. Let's see. :D

      Delete
  4. It seems quite interesting.Is it available on You tube. Please let me know. I want to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's on YouTube yet... maybe in a couple of months, though. :)

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)