Saturday, 27 December 2014

A Fresh Start.

So, the new year is almost upon us. And I don't know about you, but I'm actually caught off-guard because this year went by a little too quickly. Part of me is relieved that this year is ending, but another part - a bigger part - wishes I had more time to accomplish all of the goals I wanted to accomplish in 2014.

But that's the problem, isn't it? We always spend so much time regretting everything that's happened, thinking about all the time we've wasted and all the mistakes we've made. Why don't we ever look past these things and remember everything that's made us smile?


I know everyone says New Year's resolutions are a waste of time and effort. And to be honest, it's true to some extent. I don't know too many people who manage to stick to their resolutions for a whole week, forget an entire year. And I have a hard time with it, too.

I don't know about you, but my resolutions are either too complex ("I will write fifty inspirational blog posts this year!") or too vague ("I will work on my blog this year!"). They're either too far-fetched or so easy that I lose interest.

So this year, I'm going to do something different. This is 2015. This is a fresh start. I have a feeling I said this last year too, but this time, I really, really need a fresh start. Things haven't exactly gone my way this year, and I'm partly at fault for that. I spent too much time worrying about everything I was doing wrong instead of being happy about the things I was doing right. I spent so many mornings thinking about how horrible my day was going to be, instead of being excited about all the miracles that could happen if I just got out of bed.


I've spent the whole of 2014 being so negative that all I can see right now, when I look back, is darkness. And that is something I am not willing to take with me in the new year. 

Here's to a fresh start. Here's to a resolution that is both difficult and easy, that is both deep and simple: I will look at the bright side of things. I will give people a chance instead of pushing everyone and everything away. I will love myself instead of trying to find people who can love me. I will work on improving myself instead of cursing everything that's wrong with my life. I will remain positive, even when things go wrong.


Dear reader, if you've had a bad year, a bad week or even a bad day, then don't lose hope. A new year is coming. A fresh start is on the way. Heck, your fresh start can begin right now. All you need is the strength to believe in yourself and your strengths.

So promise me something. You're going to start living a life that you like. You're going to become yourself. You're going to be around people who love you for who you are. You're going to find your passion and follow the path that calls out to you.
And most importantly, you are going to do everything in your power to stay positive and happy and hopeful.

Here's a scene from The Amazing Spider-Man 2, one of my favourite movies, that might make you feel more hopeful about your life and yourself.


I hope you had a great Christmas and I know you're going to have a fantastic New Year.
Let me know in the comments: how excited are you for a fresh start? How are you going to make this year the best year of your life?

Until next time, Geeks. Thanks for reading. :) 

8 comments:

  1. Ahem... so, i agree, new year resolutions are super hard to keep and i think it's mostly bcoz it's a 'resolution' so it becomes this thing about 'OMG i gotta b srs abt this resolution! i can't bend it a little or... u know what? i'll try next yr, i'll build my resolve till then'. so i guess it tends to bcome redundant bcoz of the importance v giv it.

    now coming to love urself... it shud b one of the easiest acts, but it isn't. i mean, it's far far easier to criticize urself than to say i'm an awsome person and i love myself... it took me a really long time to realize that by myself i am a pretty okish person, still working up to loving myself, but the point is, some of us tend to never get there simply bcoz other ppl don't treat us the way we wanna b treated and in times like that, u need that 1 person whom u can always count on - ur bestie... ur rock whoever he/she is to giv u the high u need as well as keep u grounded... mayb even hav intellectual convos with?

    So, thinking about it all, i wonder if resolution r a bit overrated?

    isn't it easy to take one day at the time? coz after all, we sleep at the end of each day right? is that not a way to think of the next day as a new day?

    i mean, mayb i'm over thinking it, it is possible, but i guess it's bcoz of my new mantra "If i were to die today, would i be satisfied? And if not, what can i do to fix it?" a bit extreme i agree, but it keeps me in line and out of the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the journey to keeping a resolution is more important than the resolution itself. It's better to at least try than not make an effort in the first place.

      Loving yourself is very difficult, but it's very simple at the same time. I don't know how to explain that, but it's what I believe.

      If you need to depend on someone else (even a best friend or your family) to be able to love yourself, then maybe you should reconsider what you're doing. Loving yourself is something that involves only you and no other person. Even if other people don't like you, that shouldn't stop you from liking yourself (unless you're a genuinely bad person, in which case you should work on your personality - but that doesn't apply to you, Anjali, because you're really nice).

      Yes, I definitely think it's best to take one day at a time. That's why I plan to live every day as positively as possible. But the fact remains that the 'new year' IS a milestone, and this resolution is meant to commemorate that milestone.

      Hmm, your new mantra makes a lot of sense. You could say that's your resolution, not just for the new year, but for life. In that sense, resolutions aren't that overrated, are they?

      Thanks for the long comment. You know I love reading 'em. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this: "I spent so many mornings thinking about how horrible my day was going to be, instead of being excited about all the miracles that could happen if I just got out of bed."

    Yes, this. Just get out of bed. I intend to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Jeff!
      (Also, thank you so much for taking the time out to read this post! I really appreciate it.)

      Delete
  3. I feel like one shouldn't make resolutions an annual thing. And also, if you do make resolutions, then you shouldn't give up after a few days. I read in a book that it takes humans 21 days to get accustomed to something. And I've tried that and it really works! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should resolve to work on our personal development every day of every year.
      But the annual thing is just to keep track of your goals, like a deadline.

      Ooh, I didn't know about the 21 days. Where did you read it? :)

      Delete
  4. I just love your posts...They're entertaining and most of them are hilarious!
    And yes, I did make new year resolutions, but none of them actually worked.
    1. To post on my blog often
    2. To do something for the environment
    3. Write something on Wattpad
    4. Be satisfied at the end of the year.
    I know it's not much, but I really never did any of them, other than maybe the second one...
    The year 2014 was a blur, and was awesome. Personally, I feel this year 2015 is going downhill :(
    I love your blog <3 but I noticed that recently, your mostly reviewing stuff. Can you do some posts this month like 'People That Annoy me' or some general things like that?
    The 'People Who Annoy Me' series is my favourite :)
    Yep, long comment :D
    Keep being awesome and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2015 is going really well. Sure, there have been bad days, but I can't let that stop me, can I?

      Sure, I'll write more general posts when I find the time and inspiration. Thanks so much for the suggestions and yes, the long comment. :P

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)