Saturday, 24 January 2015

'Magic in the Moonlight' Movie Review

 
Set in the 1920s on the opulent Riviera in the south of France, Woody Allen's 'Magic In The Moonlight' is a romantic comedy about a master magician (Colin Firth) trying to expose a psychic medium (Emma Stone) as a fake.
What follows is a series of events that are magical in every sense of the word and send the characters reeling.


At first glance, I found this movie both appealing and jarring at the same time. I've always counted Emma Stone as one of my favourite actors, and as for Colin Firth... well, he had quite the effect on me as Mr. Darcy.
But the thought of my favourite Jane Austen hero being romantic with Peter Parker's girlfriend, after aging quite a bit, mind you...


Anyway, I was still rather excited for this one, and the starting did not disappoint me one bit.
The movie opens in the middle of a magic act by none other than Stanley Crawford (Colin Firth), better known as Wei Ling Soo, the famous Chinese magician. His friend requests him to come to the south of France to unmask a phony but pretty spiritualist, Sophie Baker (Emma Stone), who might be hoodwinking a very rich family.
But soon Stanley finds himself rethinking his disregard for the irrational and the illogical... or is he just spellbound by Sophie's eyes and smile?


This movie, set in the 1920s, has quite a few things going for it: that smooth 20s music, the witty dialogues, the oh-so-beautiful cinematography, the costumes... and, of course, the two leading actors, who are wonderful in their roles.


Sophie and Stanley's scenes together are very entertaining, yes, because of the clash of their thoughts, but I just couldn't see them as lovers. Maybe it was the age difference, but I didn't see any real chemistry between them. Their conversations were engaging, but not in a romantic way. As the story went on, I started to hope that they wouldn't end up together - and one isn't supposed to feel that way while watching a romantic comedy.

The second half ended up being a tad too dramatic, and while the ending would have seemed sweet with any other pair, it just felt wrong with this one.

 
I'm going to go with 3 stars out of 5 for Magic in the Moonlight.

Sure, the romance wasn't the highlight of the film, but it was a great one-time watch. I couldn't take my eyes off the beautiful actors and the greenery, and the writing did make me laugh here and there. And Colin Firth and Emma Stone sharing screen space? I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Would I recommend this movie to you? Well, unless you're a fan of the actors or a sucker for the 1920s, give this one a miss. You won't be missing out on too much. Still, watch the trailer below and see if it appeals to you:


I'd love to know your thoughts on this movie, and if you have any suggestions for my next movie review, head over to the comment box below.

See you soon, Geeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)