Thursday, 22 January 2015

5 Quick Fitness Tips!

Howdy, people!
I think I had promised to do a fitness post a while ago, so here I am.

While I agree that it's important to love your body just the way it is, no matter what your shape or size, I find that fitness should be an essential part of everyone's life. Exercise keeps your stamina in check, boosts your self-confidence and causes the secretion of happiness hormones. There really is no excuse to skip the workout.

However, we are all busy people leading busy lives, and we don't often get time for exercise. I didn't, today. I came back home tired from college, continued my HIMYM marathon (I'm on season six now!), took a nap, woke up and watched the newest episode of Pretty Little Liars, and then it was time for dinner. 
But as I mentioned in my previous post, fitness is a system, not a goal. You can't and shouldn't quantify it. Just incorporating it into your existing schedule is enough.
So with my quick fitness tips, get started on the journey of health!


1) Brush Your Teeth and Get Fit:
Sounds weird when you read it, but this is what I do. I'm a right-handed person, and my left arm has always been much weaker than my right. I think this would probably be true for anyone who isn't ambidextrous.
So one thing I do to work on my left hand coordination and strength is to brush with it instead of the right.
It can be a little tricky in the beginning to do things with your non-dominant hand, but with some practice, it'll become a habit.
Also, studies show that doing simple tasks this way can also benefit your brain. Yay for two birds with one stone!

2) Standing in Line:

You know when you're standing in line at the grocery store or the airport, and it's been more than ten minutes, and you start to wish you could have spent these ten minutes doing something more productive?
Well, have no fear! All you need to do is stand on tiptoe and then slowly come back down. Repeat this a few times and you'll start to feel the burn in your legs. This is a simple calf raise that sounds easy but actually gives great results. I can't do this for more than a minute without taking a break.
And since this involves very less movement, you won't have to worry about catching any unwanted attention from onlookers.

3) Brushing Your Teeth (Again):

I promise, no dentist has sponsored this post.
You can club the non-dominant hand exercise along with the calf raise while brushing your teeth. Or you could do a squat, or any lower body move that doesn't involve moving too much. Don't try doing quick hops or lunges. I don't know about you, but I get toothpaste stains on my shirts even when I stay completely still.

4) Make a French Braid:

Sorry, boys or girls with short hair, but you may not find this tip useful.
Playing with your hair while braiding can really help tone your arms. Before I cut my hair, I would take about five minutes to do a French braid, and by the end of it, my arms would start to burn. Boom. Instant toning of the arms!
Just a simple, productive action like this can fix a bad hair day and make you stronger. So let's vow to spend more time on our hair so we can lead a healthier and happier life!

5) Walk It:
Okay, I know everyone hates this tip. But it's true! Walking to your destination or taking the stairs instead of the lift works wonders. I know that sometimes it's just too hot outside to walk, and sometimes you're in too much of a hurry to take the stairs, but if you have time, and if it's a pleasant evening, take the road not taken. Don't press the button to the lift. Don't take that escalator. You'll thank me for it later.

____________________________________________________________________
Well, these are five quick tips to get fit, off the top of my head. I follow almost all of these whenever I can (Hey, sometimes taking escalators is allowed. I need to be able to respect the wonders of technology), and I can definitely say that I'm much fitter than I was six months ago.

If you'd like to see more such posts on the blog, or if you have your own fitness tips for me, leave your thoughts in the comment box below. Fitness is very close to my heart now, and I could probably talk about it all day long.

I'll see you next time. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)