Sunday, 1 March 2015

'Kingsman: The Secret Service' Movie Review

 

Based on the acclaimed comic book, Kingsman: The Secret Service tells the story of a super-secret spy organization that recruits an unrefined but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.
 
You may not know this Geeks, but when I was a little kid, I had a secret desire to become a spy. Of course, I also wanted to become a fashion designer, a cop, a writer, a restaurant owner and a superhero, but that isn't the point here.
The point is that this movie reminded me why I had that desire.

I was psyched when I saw the trailer. Secret weapons, fight sequences, guns going off, funny one-liners and Colin Firth? It doesn't get better than that!

But let me tell you that the movie does get better than that. You know my long-standing belief that the trailer is always better than the movie? This movie is one of the rare exceptions.


The movie talks of a secret spy organization comprising of gentlemen, or rather, knights. Each has a code name based on Arthurian legend - Arthur, Lancelot, Galahad, and so on - and just adding that sort of historic touch makes the movie all the more engaging.
So when the organization loses one such knight, our Galahad (Colin Firth) proposes recruiting the fallen spy's grown-up son, Gary 'Eggsy' Unwin (Taron Egerton).
While Eggsy is being trained for 'knighthood', Galahad and the other Kingsmen attempt to foil the plans of an evil mastermind who wants to change the face of mankind forever. But is Eggsy really fit to be a Kingsman, and can our heroes stop the dangerous villain (who is ironically named Valentine) before it's too late?

This movie has a lot going for it. There are great actors like Colin Firth, Michael Caine, and Mark Strong; there's an underdog protagonist everyone would root for; there are fight sequences with bullet-proof umbrellas, electrocuting rings, and bionic sword-legs; there is, surprisingly, no clichéd love story; and there's an abundance of humour.

I really liked how the movie dealt with violence. There's a lot of it - I think, apart from the many f-bombs dropped, the violence is what led to this movie being rated R. But even when bodies were exploding or being torn apart, it didn't seem gory. It seemed... funny. And I say that as a (relatively) non-violent person.
There is a particularly 'memorable' scene involving a church that goes on for at least five minutes, and although I don't know if I could rewatch it in its entirety, I do know that I didn't mind it.


I'm going to go with 4 stars out of 5 for this one.
From the beginning credits to the end credits, Kingsman: The Secret Service is a sandwich of action packed with humour, plot twists and quite a lot of comic violence. There's also a side order of British accents that I'm sure everyone will find delightful.


I've heard that there will be sequels, and I'm glad, because this is a story that has the potential to become a successful film franchise.
So take a look at the trailer, and then head to your neighbourhood theatre for 129 minutes of total entertainment. You'll thank me for it.


What did you think of Kingsman? Are you looking forward to more such movies in the future? I'd love to have a discussion with you in the comments.

That's all for now. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)