Wednesday, 22 April 2015

8 Things I Want to be When I Grow Up

I wish I could tell you that I'm one of those people who has everything in life figured out. I'd like to say that I know where I'll be in five years.
Unfortunately, I'm clueless.


But that did give me an idea for a new blog post today: everything I want to be when I grow up.
(Let's forget for a few minutes that I've already grown up.)

1) Writer

Okay, this one was fairly obvious. But writing has always been one of my passions, dating back to my childhood when I used to write fantasy, to now, when I write young adult novels.
As of this moment, I have about six or seven book ideas in my head. I don't know if I'll ever publish my works, and I don't know if my writing is good enough for me to land a job at a magazine or a newspaper or even as a screenwriter for a TV show.
But I do know that there's nothing I'd enjoy more than all of the above.

2) Blogger
Although I really love blogging at Geekie Chic, I doubt I could ever do just this for a living. I'd need something more concrete. I don't know a thing about monetizing my blog, and as of now, I don't have any plans to do so.
But I still want to keep doing this for the rest of my life. 

3) Motivational Speaker
A lot of people think I'm shy or quiet, but I'm actually very talkative when it comes to things I enjoy talking about. I also tend to be very philosophical in my ways. Put your hands together and what do you get?
A motivational speaker! I'd love to help people achieve their potential and make it big in life. What better way to give back to society, really?

4) Detective

Everyone wants to be a detective when they grow up. So do I.
But I don't want to be just any detective. I'd like to solve murder mysteries and make a name for myself in the world of crime-fighting.
And, hey, if that doesn't work out... someday I'd like to write murder mysteries. Just so I could fictionally save lives.

5) Psychologist
If there's any subject I could study all day long, other than writing, it's Psychology. I love watching people. I love reading them. I love thinking about what they're thinking, and why. Although I may not enjoy interacting with a lot of people all at once, I would love to study them and find out what makes them tick.

6) Restaurant Owner

One of my favourite PC games is a series called 'Delicious', following the life of a young restaurateur Emily who broils, sautées and bakes her way to success.
I may not know a thing about cooking, but I love food and I love making other people happy. So someday, I'm going to open my own restaurant: 'The Gourmet Geek'.

7) Fitness Instructor
I love working out. I love dishing out fitness tips. And I also love the idea of having my own fitness show on YouTube. 'Get Fit with the Geek'. How does that sound?
It'll be a while before I'm fit enough to actually give advice to people on camera, but it's a nice fantasy for now. 

8) Superhero

Fiiine, I know this one isn't remotely possible. But a girl can dream, can't she?
The only issue is that a lot of superheroes rely heavily on their aptitudes for science - a trait that I clearly lack. I'd probably end up outsourcing all my work: creating gadgets, fixing those gadgets, stitching my costume... in short, I'd be the worst superhero of all time.
But hey - at least I'd get to be one.
___________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I know that I'm currently doing my bachelor's in business, and it may seem like it has no relevance to my future dreams. But I like to believe that it's not the degree that matters, it's what you learn while getting the degree that shapes your life. And I've learnt a lot about myself and my strengths in my first year of college. I can only hope that the next two years bring me even closer to becoming all the things that I want to be when I grow up.

Geeks, are you just as confused about life as I am, or do you have a Plan? Tell me what you're currently doing and what you'd actually like to be doing in the future. 

I'll see you later. Bye!

6 comments:

  1. Amazing things to be when grow up :-P
    Be a Superhero,that would be awesome :P
    What would your super power be?

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superstrength and mind control, of course.

      Delete
  2. I would love to be any of these except a fitness instructor. Instead of that, I'd want to be a choreographer like the pros on Dancing With The Stars! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap we are the same person.
    Not only am I also a Business student, but you just described most of my dreams too (besides fitness instructor; I can't do anything "fitness-like" for the life of me). But I want to be a fashion designer/author/screenplay writer/motivational speaker/celebrity/super human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is getting eerily close to us discovering that we're long-lost twins or something...

      Anyway, before I discovered the intoxication of writing, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I'd spend hours as a kid sketching ugly models wearing even uglier clothing.

      Buuuut that kind of lifestyle probably won't make me as happy as these eight professions would. Maybe it could be the ninth. Hmm.

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)