Saturday, 30 May 2015

What's On My Playlist (May 2015)

If there's anything I love as much (or maybe even more than) books, it's music. I don't let a single day go by without listening to music, whether it's while I work out, brush my teeth, take a shower or even write my novel.

So I figured, why not tell you about the top ten songs on my playlist? I don't know if most of the songs I listen to are popular, because I don't listen to the radio. I usually find music through TV shows or movies.
Anyway, here are some examples of the greatest music in the world!

1) Wait | M83


This song's from The Fault in Our Stars soundtrack. I fell in love with it when I watched the movie the first time, although I didn't know then that this was an actual song and not just a piece of background score.
Plus, this song plays during the best scene of TFIOS: the end. And you know I love movie endings.
One thing I love about 'Wait' is the fact that even though the song is five minutes long, the lyrics are kept to a bare minimum. And yet the song is able to tug at your heartstrings.

Favourite lyric:
None, but I love how dramatic it gets around 4:05.

2) Come On Eileen | Dexy's Midnight Runners


Has there ever been a song more fun that this?
From The Perks of Being a Wallflower soundtrack, 'Come On Eileen' is definitely going to be the second song I dance to at my wedding (you'll find out the first song soon enough).

Favourite lyric:
// We are far too young and clever (remember)
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye
And you'll hum this tune forever //

3) Don't You (Forget About Me) | Simple Minds


Yes, I am really starting to dig 80s music.
I swear, this song has been following me around. I first heard it on Easy A many, many years ago, then recently on Pitch Perfect, and finally on The Breakfast Club, at which point I surrendered and decided to listen to it for hours on end.

Favourite lyric:
// Will you recognise me?
Call my name or walk on by
Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down, down //


4) Crazy In Love | Sofia Karlberg & Beyoncé 

I am still an anti-fan of Fifty Shades of Grey, but I have to admit this song is incredible. I've listened to both the Beyoncé versions, old and new, but I still like this trailer version better. The first Beyoncé song is too fast, and the second is too sensual. This one, though? Just right.

Favourite lyric:  
I actually think these lyrics make it seem like the girl is a little too obsessed with the guy. But the music's good, I'll give you that.

5) True | Spandau Ballet

I started watching Modern Family a few weeks ago (I'm currently on season two). I came across this song during an episode from the first season, and although the song (and the fictional singer) were being mocked, I really liked it. It's whimsical yet romantic.

Favourite lyric: 
// Why do I find it hard to write the next line? //
Because as a writer, I can definitely relate to it.

6) Thinking Out Loud | Ed Sheeran

I might be too late to jump on the Ed Sheeran bandwagon, so forgive me for that. One of my roommates with incredible taste in music used to play it all the time, but it didn't have any effect on me until recently. 
'Thinking Out Loud' might be one of the most romantic songs I've ever heard in a very long time. Good going, Ed.

Favourite lyric:
// When my hair's all but gone and my memory fades
And the crowds don't remember my name
When my hands don't play the strings the same way
I know you will still love me the same //

7) Miracles | Matt White

Matt White is such an underrated artist. Actually, he's practically invisible. I've never heard of anyone who's heard of him. Anyway, this song is from the Little Manhattan trailer. I probably only love that trailer so much because of the wonderful music it features.
'Miracles' is one of those songs I can relate to right now, because I definitely believe in them... although not just when it comes to love.


Favourite lyric:
// When I was young, oh
I didn't believe in anything
Now that I'm strong
I just think that I, maybe I love you //

8) Gravity | Coldplay

Ah, how I love this song! I won't say I'm the biggest Coldplay fan, but I'm probably the biggest 'Gravity' fan. If my future husband is reading this, know that this shall be the song we dance to on our wedding. 
Also, please don't think I'm creepy for planning my wedding music. Thanks.

Favourite lyric:
// When your wheels stop turning
And you feel let down
And it seems like troubles
Have come all around
I can hear your heart beating
I can hear that sound //

9) My Love | The Bird and the Bee

Uh, this video might be a little weird... I don't understand it, to be honest. But this song is fun and goofy and romantic. What more could one want? 
I first heard this song playing on a YouTuber's wedding video. If I ever have a wedding video, I'd like to base it on 'My Love', too. Sorry for stealing your idea, Mimi and Alex.

Favourite lyric:
// Hey, boy, won't you take me out tonight?
I'm not afraid of all the reasons why we shouldn't try
Hey, boy, won't you make me out tonight?
I get excited when I think of climbing into your arms //
 
10) Song For Zula | Phosphorescent


This lovely song plays during one of my favourite Peter and Gwen scenes from The Amazing Spider-Man 2, one of my favourite movies. So obviously, I was bound to love this song.
It's a little melancholy, but still romantic. And also, if you've ever got your heart broken, relatable. 


Favourite lyric:
// Some say love is a burning thing
That it makes a fiery ring
Oh but I know love as a fading thing
Just as fickle as a feather in a stream //

_______________________________________________________________________

Well, these are my current favourite tunes. But there's always better music to be heard, so I'll probably do an updated playlist a few months later.

Are any of these songs your favourite, too? If not, which songs would you recommend I listen to? I enjoy songs that are either painfully deep or surprisingly fun. There is no in-between.

I'll see you next time.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Coldplay!!!!!
    My favourite songs are (not in order):
    1. Payphone- Maroon 5
    2. Demons- Imagine Dragons
    3. Hanging Tree- Jennifer Lawrence (The movie rocked!)
    4. Waiting for the End- Linkin Park
    5. Boulevard of Broken Dreams- Green Day
    6. Counting Stars- OneRepublic
    7. Happy- Pharrell Williams
    8. The Lazy Song- Bruno Mars
    I love this post!!
    Soundarya
    rsoundarya0707.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great playlist. I love The Hanging Tree, Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Counting Stars, too!
      I'll be sure to check out all the other songs you've recommended. :D

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)