Saturday, 27 June 2015

What's On My Playlist (June 2015)


How are you doing on this lovely June morning, Geeks? I hope your day is full of song and dance and happiness, like mine is at the moment. I woke up at 6:15 am today, feeling energetic and ready for anything in my path. College starts in a week, so I have to reset my biological clocks for those early morning lectures.

Anyway, last month's playlist seemed to be a big hit, so I decided to make it a monthly feature. I don't know about you, but this is my relationship with a new song: I like it, I listen to it 50x times on repeat, I love it, I listen to it 100x more times, I get bored of it.
So here are the ten incredible songs I'm obsessed with this month!

1)  Shake It Off | Taylor Swift


I've never really considered myself a 'Swiftie', as they're called, but I have to admit that Taylor is only getting better and better with time. As much as I love her latest single, Shake It Off is still my favourite T-Swift song. Not only is it a 'sick beat', there's also a wonderful message behind it: be who you are, no matter what they say.

Favourite lyric:
// But I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop grooving
It's like I got this music
In my mind
Saying, "It's gonna be alright." //

2) Not About Angels | Birdy


I may not be a John Green fan, but yes, I am obsessed with the TFIOS soundtrack. This heartbreaking song about death and separation reminds me of the time I wrote my first death scene. Well, to be honest, most TFIOS songs remind me of that novel, but that's only because both stories are really melancholy.

Favourite lyric:
// How unfair, it's just our love
Found something real that's out of touch
But if you'd searched the whole wide world
Would you dare to let it go? //

3) Crazy in Love | Beyoncé ft. Jay-Z


I know I said last month that this version is too much for me, but I've since changed my mind. I find dancing in the shower to be one of the greatest pleasures in the world, and when I'm in my superstar mode, this song is my jam. Gotta love Beyoncé.

Favourite lyric:
// Yes!
It's so crazy right now!
Most incredibly, it's ya girl, Bee,
It's ya boy, young //

4) What You Wanted | One Republic


Before you start calling me a hypocrite, let me remind you that this song was in the trailer, not the movie. I am not a John Green fan, I assure you.
Anyway, the trailer is one of my favourites, so it's no surprise that I love this song.

Favourite lyric:
// I'll put your poison in my veins
They say the best love is insane, yeah
I'll light your fire till my last day
I'll let your fields burn around me, around me //

5) Heroes | David Bowie


70s and 80s music is so powerful! Perks fans would know that this is the famous 'tunnel song' from the movie, which I adore, and this song is also my personal 'window song'.
During college, I would stand by a corridor window, blast this song on my phone, put on my headphones, and enjoy the cool breeze. Try it, and I promise you will fall in love with life.

Favourite lyric:
// Though nothing, will keep us together
We could steal time,
just for one day
We can be Heroes, for ever and ever
What d'you say? //

6) All I Want | Kodaline


You know, I should just call this blog post 'TFIOS Songs I Love in June'. But that doesn't have a nice ring to it, so I digress.
Another tearjerker that makes me think of my loved ones (fictional and otherwise) dying. Not a pretty sight, but it makes for great writing fodder.

Favourite lyric:
// So you brought out the best of me,
A part of me I've never seen
You took my soul and wiped it clean
Our love was made for movie screens //

7) Feel Again | One Republic


I'm a big Miles Teller fan, and I rewatched The Spectacular Now trailer a few days ago and discovered this amazing song that so perfectly fits the theme of the movie. Incredible song selection, trailer-makers.

Favourite lyric:
// Heart still beating but it's not working
It's like a hundred thousand voices that just can't sing
I reached out trying to love but I feel nothing
Oh, my heart is numb
But with you
I feel again //

8) Just That Girl


I love movies that have big, showy, musical endings. I've done something similar for one of my novels, because there's just something magical about singing and dancing with the person you love.
This song, from Another Cinderella Story, is just perfect for a dancing-in-the-shower jam session.

Favourite lyric:
// To me you're a star
When you move you're off the charts
You've already won my heart
That girl //

9) Smile | Mikky Ekko


Paper Towns: worst book ever, in my opinion. Trailer: mediocre. Movie: will probably go the same way. But this song is just so positive and optimistic and hopeful, and those are all the qualities I want to see in myself and my life!
I dare you to listen to this song without smiling. If you can do it, you are emotionless and empty.
(Just kidding... maybe)

Favourite lyric:
// Smile, the worst is yet to come
We'll be lucky if we ever see the sun
Got nowhere to turn, and we've got nothing but time
But the future is forever, the future is forever, so smile //

10) Gone, Gone, Gone | Philllip Phillips


This guy really likes repeating his words, doesn't he?
From The Amazing Spider-Man 2 soundtrack, this song is about friendship and always being loyal to the ones you love. I feel like this could be the Hufflepuff theme song.
#HeadcanonAccepted

Favourite lyric:
// You're my back bone
You're my cornerstone
You're my crutch when my legs stop moving
You're my head start
You're my rugged heart
You're the pulse that I've always needed //

____________________________________________________________________

As you can probably tell, I love fun dance numbers that aren't electronic and songs that resonate with the heart. Have any recommendations for me? Leave them in the comments below.

I'll see you next time, musical Geeks. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)