Friday, 31 July 2015

What's On My Playlist (July 2015)

Hello, musical Geeks.
And so July comes to an end. Damn. 2015 is just flying by, isn't it? This is already the third post in this series!


I didn't discover a lot of new music this month, but many songs that I'd stowed away inside my mind came to the surface recently. Since I wake up before any of my roommates, I spend my pre-dawn mornings making breakfast and singing to my heart's content.

Again, most of the music I listen to comes from movies, trailers or TV shows that I watch, so you might not have heard of some of these songs.
Here we go!

1) The Show | Lenka


How adorable is Lenka? I am in love with her dimples and bubbly persona. Anyway, about two seconds of this song played in the Easy A trailer, so that's how I discovered Lenka.
I don't completely understand this video, but it's still fun to watch.

Favourite lyric:

// I'm just a little bit caught in the middle
Life is a maze and love is a riddle
I dont know where to go I can't do it alone I've tried
And I don't know why //

2) Barden Bellas Finale | Misc


Featuring one of my favourite songs (Don't You Forget About Me), the final performance of the Barden Bellas from Pitch Perfect features a medley of melodies that makes me want to join an a capella group. This is my go-to get-psyched song at the moment.

Favourite lyric:
// Tonight,
I will love love you tonight,
Give me everything tonight,
For all we know we might not get tomorrow,
Let's do it tonight //

3) Flashlight | Jessie J


Yes, I'm obsessed with the soundtrack of the Pitch Perfect movies. This song is so sweet, romantic and optimistic. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel: and sometimes that light might be the person you love the most in the world.

Favourite lyric:
// Kickstart my heart when you shine it in my eyes
Can't lie, it's a sweet life
Stuck in the dark but you're my flashlight
You're getting me, getting me through the night //

4) Glitter In The Air | Pink


I discovered this song on an episode of Pretty Little Liars and have loved it ever since. This song is all about being brave in love and taking the leap, and although that isn't my philosophy at all (mine is running away from it lest I get hurt), it's something I'd love to follow.

Favourite lyric:

// Have you ever wished for an endless night?
Lassoed the moon and the stars and pulled that rope tight
Have you ever held your breath and asked yourself
Will it ever get better than tonight?
Tonight //

5) Atlas | Coldplay


Two of my favourite things, Coldplay and Catching Fire, come together in this hauntingly beautiful song that I know for sure is about Peeta and Katniss. Listening to this song recently made me think of the new Mockingjay trailer, and I tear up almost every time.

Favourite lyric:
// Some far away
Some search for gold
Some dragon to slay
Heaven we hope is just up the road
Show me the way, lord, 'cause I... I'm about to explode //

6) What I Wouldn't Do | Serena Ryder


This lovely song about friendship, love and everything in between is from The Fault in Our Stars trailer (yes, I'm still obsessed with that movie), and it perfectly fits the theme of my next novel, which is inspired by Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

Favourite lyric:
// Oh the things I never noticed
Opened my ears to the chorus
You have made me listen careful
And you gave me the line //

7) A Little Too Much | Natasha Bedingfield


I like a lot of Natasha Bedingfield's songs, actually. This one was featured heavily in the trailer as well as in the movie Something Borrowed, one of my favourite chick flick book-to-movie adaptations. The song is about loving beyond your limits, and isn't that what the true meaning of life is?

Favourite lyric:

// It's wonderful to fall
Let's love and risk it all
Even if it hurts just a little too much
I'd rather love just a little too much... //

8) Crazy For You | Madonna


This is embarrassing, but I haven't heard any other songs by Madonna. Sorry.
A very entertaining chick flick by the name of 13 Going on 30 introduced me to this song. I love the retro 80s vibe, and it's the perfect love song to belt out while you're cooking, trust me.

Favourite lyric:
// I'm crazy for you
Touch me once and you'll know it's true
I never wanted anyone like this
It's all brand new, you'll feel it in my kiss
I'm crazy for you, crazy for you //

9) All Of The Stars | Ed Sheeran


Well, something from The Fault In Our Stars soundtrack had to be on this list, right? Ed Sheeran is another artist whom I'm starting to love more and more each day. And isn't this the perfect long-distance song? Well, maybe it's second to Hey There Delilah. Ooh, I should give that one another listen.

Favourite lyric:
// I can hear your heart
On the radio beat
They're playing 'Chasing Cars'
And I thought of us
Back to the time,
You were lying next to me
I looked across and fell in love //

10) At Last | Etta James

Which movie hasn't played this song? From Little Manhattan to 500 Days of Summer, this song is a staple for every film with a wedding scene. I'm a sucker for old music, and this one is really old: it's from the 60s. So classic!

Favourite lyric:
// I found a dream, that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known //
_______________________________________________________________________

So these are ten songs I am crazy in love with right now. There are many more on my playlist, but I'm saving them for next month's post. For more geekie things, follow me on Facebook and Instagram.
Want to share a sneek peak into your playlist? Well, the comment box is waiting - as am I.

5 comments:

  1. You should really try listening to 'Try' and 'Brighter than the sun' by Colbia Calliat. And the songs of Charity Vance and the Main Level. You'll LOVE them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should listen to "Our Own House" (and basically every song in their album) by Misterwives! I've been jamming it it all summer!
    Let me know if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out now. Thanks for the recommendation. :D

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)