Wednesday, 9 September 2015

What's On My Playlist (August 2015)

My August playlist has been long overdue, I know. But better late than never, so here I am with my ten favourite songs of the month. Many of these are songs I have known and loved for years, and some are ones I've discovered only recently.

1) It's On Again | Alicia Keys ft. Kendrick Lamar


This song is a perfect metaphor for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but it's also very apt for life in general. When tough times take over, all you need to say is, "It's on again!" and keep marching. That is how you win at life, Geeks - superhero or not.

Favourite lyric:
// I am a lonely hero, tryin' to fight my battles
Life likes to blow the cold wind, sometimes it freezes my shadow
In the midst of all this darkness, I sacrifice my ego
There ain't no room for selfish, we do it for the people //

2) I Will Let You Go | Daniel Ahearn


This heartbreaking song about letting go and moving on is from the No Strings Attached movie, which I haven't seen. I first heard it on an episode of Pretty Little Liars - season two, I think? - and I loved it almost immediately. I especially love the piano in the background and the female vocals that pop up towards the end.

Favourite lyric:
// I’m standing in water with the
Light on my shoulder
The weight of the doubt
Turned me to glass
I’m through living in question
Dreaming the answers //

3) You Sound Good to Me | Lucy Hale


I'm not a major country music fan - not counting my girl, Taylor Swift - but Lucy's catchy, romantic song is the perfect song to sing as I'm making eggs in the morning. How can your day go bad when it starts with fun melodies, after all?

Favourite lyric:
// The full moon
Is shining like a spotlight
I could just sit and listen to you talkin' all night
When you whisper
Yeah, baby, when you lean in
I get a crazy, crazy good kind of feelin' //

4) If It Isn't Love | 2AM Club


2AM Club is a band I was introduced to by Pretty Little Liars - they were the band playing at Homecoming, season one - and now I really like a lot of their songs. This one is actually a cover of the 1988 song by New Edition. I love the Audrey Hepburn quote at the beginning!

Favourite lyric:
// If it isn't love
Why do I feel this way
Why does she stay on my mind
If it isn't love
Why does it hurt so bad
Make me feel so sad inside
If it isn't love //

5) Love | Matt White


Matt White's songs are always so simple. No frills or fancy music, no, sir. This song is from one of my favourite movies, Little Manhattan, and it's all about the silly, goofy things that you do when you're in love. The video is adorable, too: a writer on a bus creating a love story.

Favourite lyric:
// And love...
Such a silly game we play,
Like a summer's day in May.
What is love, what is love?
I just want it to be love //

6) Masterpiece | Jessie J


This song was recommended to me by my lovely sister, who knows my taste in music a little too well. Masterpiece is all about owning your flaws and learning from failure. As Jessie rightly says, we're all perfectly incomplete. And that's okay. This song is great for days when you need a pick-me-up or a self-esteem boost.

Favourite lyric:
// Uphill battle
I look good when I climb
I'm ferocious, precocious
I get braggadocios
I'm not gonna stop
I like the view from the top //

7) Simple Song | The Shins


I've been re-watching all HIMYM scenes involving the Mother, because she's obviously the greatest character on the show (yes, even better than Barney), and this 'simple song' played during the last scene of Season 8 when the Mother was finally revealed! I still remember where I was when I first saw that episode: on a flight from London to home. I doubt I'll ever forget that moment.
When did you first watch the Mother's reveal? Comment down below!

Favourite lyric:
// I know that things can really get rough when you go it alone
Don’t go thinking you gotta be tough, to play like a stone
Could be there’s nothing else in our lives so critical
As this little home //

8) Downtown Train | Everything But the Girl


This song played during the iconic Farhamptom train station scene when Ted finally meets the Mother - how could I not fall in love with it? It's a beautiful song about two lovers meeting on a train. So fitting for the HIMYM finale.

Favourite lyric:
// Will I see you tonight on a downtown train
Where every night, it's just the same,
you leave me lonely
Will I see you tonight on a downtown train
All of my tears just fall like rain, all upon the downtown train //

9) Yellow | Coldplay


Coldplay is one of my favourite bands, but I haven't heard all their songs. I first heard this one during the movie Boyhood, and I don't know how, but it popped into my head recently. A few minutes later, I almost broke the YouTube replay button.
I'm not too sure what 'yellow' signifies - but to me, yellow is one of the happiest and brightest colours... so yes, I would love for everything to be yellow.

Favourite lyric:
// Your skin,
Oh yeah your skin and bones,
Turn into
Something beautiful,
Do you know,
You know I love you so,
You know I love you so //

10) Beating Heart | Ellie Goulding


Although I didn't particularly enjoy the first Divergent movie, Beating Heart makes for a good song when you're thinking of dramatic plot twists for your next book or having a cardio workout session.

Favourite lyric:
// And the canyon underneath the trees
Behind the dark sky, you looked at me
I fell for you like autumn leaves
And never faded, evergreen //
__________________________________________________________________________
Which songs are you in love with lately? Got any recommendations for me? List 'em down below.
I'll see you next month, Geeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)