Thursday, 1 October 2015

Philosophical Ramblings #4: What Matters More, Courage or Kindness?


So I was recently reading Divergent, and a thought popped into my mind: which of the five traits is the most important? Selflessness, bravery, kindness, intelligence or honesty?
Well, selflessness and bravery go hand-in-hand, and intelligence and honesty, while important, are logical responses, not emotional ones. So that left me with courage and kindness.

Courage isn't about being fearless. It's about keeping your calm even in the face of fear. It's about standing up for what you believe in, no matter what the consequences may be. And that's a worthy trait to have, because you can't follow your dreams and take action without being brave.


On the other hand, kindness is about forgiveness and acceptance. Kindness is reminding yourself that one situation or instance does not define a person. Kindness teaches you the importance of second chances. Kindness is about treating people the way you wish to be treated, even if you hate them with every fibre of your being. And if you aren't kind, you sure as hell aren't strong enough to go big in life.

So which is better than the other? Would you rather be brave or kind, if you could only be one? Would you be able to choose at all?

As for me... I'd pick kindness at first. After all, my dream is to make a difference in people's lives. I want to see people go beyond their capabilities. I want to help them find their inner strength and stay hopeful.


But how can I make a difference in anyone's life if I don't have the courage to change my own life? Without courage, how will I overcome my feelings of despair? If I'm not brave, how will I ever be kind?

Maybe it's not about which is better than the other. After all, wasn't that the point of the Divergent series? Maybe we can't pick one trait over the other, because they're all interrelated. You can't be honest if you aren't intelligent enough to find the truth. You can't be selfless unless you're brave enough to put your needs on hold. And you can't be kind without stepping down and being selfless.

I don't know which one matters more. Maybe I'll never know. But what I do realise now is that courage makes you kinder, and kindness makes you braver. And that's the way it should be.


Personally, I'm braver than I am kind, and I have a long way to go before I can start forgiving and accepting myself - and others - for things that have happened in the past. But I know my bravery will help me learn kindness, and then success will no longer be just a dream.

What do you think, Geeks? Are you more brave or kind? Which one is more important to you? If you've read Divergent, which faction would you like to be a part of? I'd pick Amity in a heartbeat.
Hope you enjoyed this philosophical post. What would you like to see next on this space?

See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. If the Divergent world existed, I would pick Erudite mostly, because there'd be so many books to read! XD

    This post made some really valid points, but I feel that bravery is a trait without which kindness cannot exist- after all, it takes bravery to forget and forget the wrongs of the past, to put others before you, to help others before helping yourself and all to be all those other things kind people are (me not being one of them).

    However, I feel that bravery can come without kindness- bravery can be for personal gain, to impress, etc. THat's what I mean to say, that bravery, when your heart is in the right place, leads to kindness. Look at so many of the world leaders- Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, etc; they were kind and wanted peace; but they couldn't have revolutionized the way people think without the bravery to stand up for they believed in.
    -
    Sound
    (theparadoxicanomaly.blogspot.in)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment, Sound! Bravery for personal gain isn't the kind of bravery I value at all. :)

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)