Tuesday, 10 November 2015

'Goosebumps' Movie Review

Upset about moving from the big city to a small town, young Zach Cooper (Dylan Minnette) finds a silver lining when he meets his beautiful neighbor Hannah (Odeya Rush). The teen is surprised to learn that Hannah's mysterious father is R.L. Stine (Jack Black), the famous author of the best-selling "Goosebumps" series. When Zach accidentally unleashes the monsters from the fantastic tales, it's up to Stine, his daughter and Cooper to return the beasts back to the books where they belong.

I remember going to the bookstore as a child and coming back home with stories of monsters and men, werewolves and ghouls, vampires and dwarves, all out to ruin the lives of teenagers. So relatable, right? It's safe to say I was obsessed with the works of R.L. Stine and the many ways in which he could turn non-threatening things like parents, shopping malls and ventriloquist's dummies into my worst nightmares.

And now, years after I've put down his books, comes the movie version of my childhood. No way in hell was I going to skip this one.
So the question is... did it live up to ten-year-old Swati's expectations? Did it remind me of bedtime stories and the thrill of reading horror? Did it give me - pardon the pun - goosebumps?


I went into the theatre expecting nothing more than a good comedy. I'm nineteen years old, for heaven's sake. Slappy can't scare me anymore. All I was looking forward to was a walk down memory lane, some great one-liners by Jack Black and great 3D effects.

I'll be honest here: Goosebumps isn't the kind of movie most people would like. Jack Black notwithstanding, there aren't any prominent actors, the music is forgettable at best, and the love story is clich├ęd and boring in spite of a genius nod to one of my favourite Goosebumps novels.


And yet, I don't regret watching Goosebumps. Not because it was in 3D. Not because I was with my friends. Not even because the popcorn was spectacular. 
No, I don't regret watching Goosebumps because it was, almost literally, an R.L. Stine novel on celluloid. 

From the werewolf with surprisingly well-defined abs to the abominable snowman to those creepy little dwarves, this movie made me remember every single Goosebumps book I'd ever read and loved.
Making Slappy the main bad guy was a stroke of genius. After all, he probably is the series' unofficial mascot, what with all the trouble he's caused. Plus, he creeped the shit out of me. It's Slappy, after all!


The plot has more holes than a moth-eaten Santa costume, and yes, the humour is mostly slapstick and won't make you go LOL, but Jack Black's delivery is superb, as is Ryan Lee's portrayal of the nerdy sidekick, Champ. 

The ending made it seem like there might be more Goosebumps movies to follow in the years to come... and if so, I'd definitely be down for that. With better special effects and acting and a more engaging script, this could be a franchise for more than just the book readers.

I'm going to go with 3.5 stars out of 5 for this one. 
If the book series holds a special place in your heart, just like it does in mine, then head to the movie theatre now! But if the words 'Goosebumps', 'R.L. Stine' or 'Fear Street' mean nothing to you, then give this one a miss.

Still can't make up your mind? Take a look at the trailer.


What did you think of this movie adaptation? Which Goosebumps books were your favourite? I loved the Fear Street and Give Yourself Goosebumps series.
See you next time, Geeks! :)

8 comments:

  1. BTW, parents are non- threatening??

    Ooh remember parents from the thirteenth dimension? Best book ever!!!! And Bog girl! I want to read them all again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents are totally non-threatening, dude. In small doses.
      Parents from the 13th dimension was EPIC!!!!!

      Delete
  2. WOW! This movie seems pretty interesting. Even though I'm fourteen, I still love reading Goosebumps under the table in the class! I guess the thing about Goosebumps is that it may not be scary, but it's almost always intense. I especially love those stories where they say 'If you would do X, turn to page A. If you would do Y, turn to page B.' I loved the idea of that, because it was one book, but many stories. There were so many awesome combinations you could make an give yourself a vast array of deaths XD! I just love the books with all my heart and I hope the movie upholds those expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give Yourself Goosebumps! Yes, I loved those books, too.
      Don't expect a movie masterpiece. Go in with an open mind and you should have fun. Take a Goosebumps fan with you. I should have done that. :P

      Delete
  3. There's a movie? O.o
    It sounds like an interesting movie, but I think it hasn't been released in the Netherlands. Otherwise I'd be going to the theatre right now :P
    One of the first books I read in English was a Goosebumps book. I read all the other ones in Dutch and I have no idea what their titles were in English :')

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. That's surprising. Do catch it on DVD when you get the chance. :D

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)