Sunday, 29 November 2015

'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2' Spoiler Discussion


As the war of Panem escalates to the destruction of other districts by the Capitol, Katniss Everdeen, the reluctant leader of the rebellion, must bring together an army against President Snow, while all she holds dear hangs in the balance.

Welcome to the second spoiler discussion on Geekie Chic! Today we're going to discuss Mockingjay Part 2, starting with my favourite and not-so-favourite scenes, why I'm mad at the Indian Censor board, what I thought of the surprising kiss towards the end, to what I think about the bomb fiasco.

Please proceed only if you have seen the movie, read the books, or done both. Hopefully, it's both.

My Favourite Scenes
Gah, too many to count! From Katniss' speech in District Two to Annie and Finnick's wedding to Katniss dancing with Prim to the scene with the muttations to Tigris to Snow's 'execution' to Real or Not Real... this movie was so incredible, I can't even think about it again without disappearing into a puddle of tears.


But if I had to pick just one, it'd easily be Katniss and Peeta's talk during the mission, which is such a beautiful depiction of the scene from the books:
"At a few minutes before four, Peeta turns to me again. "Your favorite colour... it's green?"
"That's right." Then I think of something to add. "And yours is orange."
"Orange?" He seems unconvinced.
"Not bright orange. But soft. Like the sunset," I say. "At least, that's what you told me once."
"Oh." He closes his eyes briefly, maybe trying to conjure up that sunset, then nods his head. "Thank you."
But more words tumble out. "You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces."
Then I dive into my tent before I do something stupid like cry."
My Not-So-Favourite Scenes
Well, in the books, when they're trying to get Peeta to think of home without riling him up, they ask Delly Catwright, a fellow District Twelve survivor, to talk to him. This works because Peeta and Delly have always been close, but she and Katniss aren't, which means his memories of her aren't tarnished by the tracker jacker venom.
In the movie, for the sake of the movie fans, they replace Delly with Prim, which sort of doesn't make sense, because a) Peeta and Prim have never actually been shown as close friends, and b) if Peeta ever felt any emotion towards Prim, it would have been because of Katniss. The idea would have never worked.


And I understand that due to time constraints, they couldn't show Katniss, Finnick and Johanna training for the mission. But making Katniss sneak into the goods aircraft just felt... off. I wish they could have at least done a three-minute montage of the training and said something about how Johanna wasn't well enough to go.

Why I'm Mad at the Indian Censor Board
Okay, so the scene I was most looking forward to, the scene I was sure would destroy me, was the one where, after Prim's *sob* death, Katniss returns to Twelve and talks to Buttercup about it. That was the most emotional point of the entire book - no, the entire series - so imagine my disappointment when the scene wasn't in the movie.

"She's not here," I tell him. Buttercup hisses again. "She's not here. You can hiss all you like. You won't find Prim." At her name, he perks up. Raises his flattened ears. Begins to meow hopefully. "Get out!" He dodges the pillow I throw at him. "Go away! There's nothing left for you here!" I start to shake, furious with him. "She's not coming back! She's never ever coming back here again!" I grab another pillow and get to my feet to improve my aim. Out of nowhere, the tears begin to pour down my cheeks. "She's dead, you stupid cat. She's dead."
If you're an international reader, you're probably shaking your head at me, because you did see that scene in the movie, and I bet it was every bit as heart-breaking as the one in the book. Well, I just found out, thanks to the internet, that the reason I - and some other Indian on the IMDb board - didn't get to cry our hearts out some more was because our dear Censor Board banned it.

And why? Probably because Katniss throws some things at him. Well, guess what, Censor Board? They killed huge dogs in the first one. Monkeys in the second - and birds! Overgrown lizards in this one. FELLOW HUMANS, TOO.
But CGI throwing at a cat is not permitted? That's the reason I walked out of that theatre just the teensy bit disapppointed?


Haymitch and Effie?!
Okay, so nobody really cared for Hayffie in the books, because they didn't have that... spark that Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks do in the movies. I guess that's why the Hayffie ship was born. But that ship has now finally become - almost - canon, when those two lovebirds finally kissed at the end. And yes, I know it was a millisecond kiss, and they were just saying goodbye, and blah blah blah, but... it's Hayffie! That's incredible.
"Don't be a stranger."


Damn You, Gale
Okay, so coming to the main point of this discussion: was Prim's death Gale's fault or not?
Well, ever since the first book, I've been anti-Gale, so maybe I'm not the most impartial judge here. But damn him, because the whole plan of bombing the crowd and then making them think they have medical attention and then bombing them again was his idea! He knew Coin would stop at no end to win this war. He knew Prim was a nurse now. He knew she was selfless enough to run to the children no matter what the consequences.
So yeah, he killed Prim. The only thing Katniss ever wanted him to do was keep her family safe, and he couldn't do it.
I hope he's happy being a warrior in District Two, but... Katniss was right. Gale's fire would never have sustained hers.


What did you think of all of the above? If you've seen the movie in a country that doesn't have our censorship values, please, please, PLEASE tell me what happens in the Buttercup scene in explicit detail. Otherwise, the only other person I can rely on is YIFY. And I don't think he'll be able to help me any time soon.
Are you a Hayffie shipper too? What's your favourite Haymitch and Effie moment? Mine would be the one from Mockingjay Part1 ("I think I like you better without all that makeup." "I like you better sober.").
Do you think Gale was right in his decision to fight fire with fire? Do you think the war and the destruction of Twelve took away what little innocence he had? Or had Gale always been ruthless?

If you have anything else to discuss, feel free. There's nothing I love more than a fandom debate. Except, you know, food.

See you around, Geeks. Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favour.

4 comments:

  1. Ah the feels; Thanks to tumblr i too found out about the deleted scene, and so many comments about how that particularly heartbreaking scene made them cry. arghh the frustrations.
    Also Finnick and the way he dealt with Peeta throughout , because he's been through similar with Annie and i just T__T
    The wedding scene was so beautiful , but again there was a lot of discussion in the fandom about how they left out the part where Peeta decorates a cake for it
    i've been rooting for Peeta ever since the first book , somehow i could never imagine Gale and Katniss together


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to see the cake scene too, but I guess time constraints messed that up... The movie was pretty long as it is.
      Yep, I've always been a Peeta-Katniss shipper too. :D

      Delete
  2. I got you covered. Here's the Buttercup scene.

    http://odestaholyship.tumblr.com/post/134288776956/mockingjay-spoilers-the-scene-between-katniss

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)