Tuesday, 24 November 2015

What's On My Playlist (November 2015)

Sometimes I come across a band or an artist and fall in love with one of their songs without feeling anything for the rest of the album. And then there are times when I listen to one lyric of one song, and I fall in love with the band itself.

This is one of those times.

Geeks, I have discovered the awesomeness that is Cheap Trick... and yes, seven out of the ten songs on this list are by this incredible band. I discovered them while re-watching one of my favourite chick flicks (John Tucker Must Die) and decided that I simply must find out who the American Beatles are.

1) Diamonds | Rihanna

What a lovely, optimistic song! I feel like if I had to have a theme song to the TV show of my life, it could be this. Although I don't think my life is sophisticated enough for this song.

Favourite lyric:
// At first sight I felt the energy of sun rays
I saw the life inside your eyes //

2) Don't Be Cruel | Cheap Trick


This is such a fun song. I love singing this one in the kitchen or in the shower or just randomly in the middle of the day. Definitely one of my favourite Cheap Trick songs so far.

Favourite lyric:
// Let's walk down to the preacher
Let's say "Hey, I do"
And then I know you'll want me
And you'll know I want you too //

3) Voices | Cheap Trick


I discovered this a little while after all the other ones, probably because YouTube didn't like it enough to recommend it to me. The person who did was drunk Ted Mosby from one of my favourite HIMYM episodes. And if you know which episode it was, I like you.

Favourite lyric:
// I'm a fool again
I fell in love with you again
Please, can I see you every day? //

4) Can't Stop Falling Into Love | Cheap Trick


This song starts out with the singer talking about a girl who's "got legs for miles, but her face looks a mess". That part notwithstanding, the song is pretty darn catchy. Actually, that part might be catchy, too, but I'm not going to admit it out loud.

Favourite lyric:
// It's time that you just can't hide
But I can't control myself, oh, no, no
I know what you've been waitin' for
'Cause love can't be denied, yeah oo //

5) The Flame | Cheap Trick


What a beautiful, aching, hopeful song about love and loss! I can't wait to use this one in future when I'm compiling a playlist for my novel.

Favourite lyric:
// Can't see through this veil across my heart, over you
You'll always be the one
You were the first, you'll be the last //

6) Never Had a Lot to Lose | Cheap Trick


This is such a concert song, and I guess the video shows it well. It's fun, energetic, and would probably make a great karaoke song. Do karaoke bars in India carry Cheap Trick songs?

Favourite lyric:
// I tried to tell you
It's a pain you can't hide
My life's a circus
An insane chain of circumstances //

7) Wherever Would I Be | Cheap Trick


I love songs about that one person who keeps you steady and makes you a better person. Sure, I get that we don't need anybody but ourselves, but having good company, kind friends and loved ones doesn't hurt... right?

Favourite lyric:
// When I'm sure I'll never win
When it's looking like I've lost my faith
I just look at you baby
And I got reason to believe again //

8) Young and Beautiful | Lana Del Rey


I've mentioned previously that Coldplay's Gravity is the song I'll dance to on my wedding. Well, this is an addition to the list. I'm not usually a fan of Lana Del Rey, and maybe it's just because this song was used in The Great Gatsby, and maybe it's because it suits Daisy and Gatsby's relationship so darn well (in spite of that ending and the reveal that people only have their own interests in mind), but I am in love with the lyrics and the melodies and Lana's scratchy, husky voice and everything about this song!

Favourite lyric:
// Dear lord, when I get to heaven
Please let me bring my man
When he comes tell me that you'll let him in
Father tell me if you can //

9) Ghost Town | Cheap Trick


I can relate to this song so much. Sometimes when you're in a crowded room full of the noises of insignifant people, the only thing you feel is loneliness. Sometimes life really does seem like a ghost town without the people that matter to you.

Favourite lyric:
// Livin' ain't been livin'
Since you put me down
Yeah life goes on around me every day,
But it might as well be half a million miles away //

10) Alive | Sia


And Sia does it again! This lyric video is spectacular (I didn't care for the actual video so much), and there's so much pain in this song... but resilience, too. Am I the only one who thinks Alive would make a great addition to the The Hunger Games soundtrack?

Favourite lyric:
This song was written by Sia and Adele, for heaven's sake. It's absolutely perfect. But if I had to pick...
// I found solace in the strangest place
Way in the back of my mind
I saw my life in a stranger's face
And it was mine //
___________________________________________________________________

Adele's latest album just released, didn't it? I suppose I'll go take a look now that I'm done with my finals (hooray!). She'll probably feature very heavily on my December playlist. Also, stay tuned for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 review and spoiler discussion, because it's releasing here in THREE. MORE. DAYS.

See you then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)