Sunday, 1 November 2015

What's On My Playlist (October 2015)

I didn't listen to a lot of new music last month, which is why there was no playlist for September. However, October has been full of new discoveries, so stay tuned to find out which songs I am crushing on lately!

1) Strange Things Will Happen // The Radio Dept


This song is all about the unexpected things in life and how you should accept them for what they are. It's also about letting toxic people go, no matter how difficult it may seem. Huh... is that why they used this song before the Van Houten scene in TFIOS?

Favourite lyric:
// Today was a pretty day
Autumn comes with
These slight surprises where your life might twist and turn
Hope to unlearn
Strange things will happen
If you let them come around and stick around //

2) Chandelier // Sia


My sister is a major Sia fan, but I only started liking her music recently, when I was creating a playlist for my second novel, Not That Kind of Girl.
I like how this song has many meanings, and different people probably interpret it in different ways. Some people, according to YouTube comments, think it's about the life of a party girl and how her motto is 'YOLO'. Well, I think it's about someone so empty and depressed that all she can turn to is boys and booze. And 'swinging from the chandelier' is a metaphor for suicide. Come on.

Favourite lyric:
// But I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light, 'cause I'm just holding on for tonight
Help me, I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light, 'cause I'm just holding on for tonight
On for tonight //

3) Let Your Heart Hold Fast // Fort Atlantic


This song played on HIMYM's iconic rooftop scene where Barney proposes to Robin, and our resident tortured soul, Ted, looks out of the GNB window. Touching scene, touching song. No matter how bad things get, they will soon be over. Another sunrise is on the horizon. I like that message.

Favourite lyric:
// To believe I walk alone
Is a lie that I’ve been told
So let your heart hold fast
For this soon shall pass
Like the high tide takes the sand //

4) Dead in the Water // Ellie Goulding


Okay, I have no idea what this song means. At all. Is it a happy song? Then why is she drowning? Is it a sad song? Then why is the melody so romantic? I don't know, but this song from the Divergent soundtrack has been a favourite of mine recently.

Favourite lyric:
// If I was not myself
And you were someone else
I'd say so much to you
And I would tell the truth
Cause I can hardly breathe
When your hands let go of me //

5) After Hours // We Are Scientists


I didn't like this movie that much - and I haven't read the book - but I have to admit that Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist has the best music! I like a lot of songs from the album, but this is the best of the lot. I'm not a late-night kind of person, but living life 'after hours' does sound nice.

Favourite lyric:
// This door is always open, this door is always open
No one has the guts to shut us out
But if we have to go now I guess there's always hope that
Some place will be serving after hours //

6) Hello // Adele


If you aren't in love with this song, we will never be friends.
Adele has made her comeback, and what a comeback it is. Just one word and you can hear the pain in her voice. I love the sienna cinematography, too. Stunning.
Plus, the Lionel Richie/Adele mashup is hilarious. Watch it here if you haven't already.

Favourite lyric:
// Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried to tell you
I'm sorry, for breaking your heart
But it don't matter, it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore //

7) Elastic Heart // Sia


Are all of Sia's songs so heartbreaking? This is a song we can all relate to... and yet somehow, we can't. I don't think I have a thick skin or an elastic heart, but I sure wish I did.

Favourite lyric:
// I walked through fire to save my life
And I want it, I want life so bad
I'm doing everything I can
Then another one bites the dust
It's hard to lose a chosen one//

8) Oblivion // Indians


This adorable song played during Gus and Hazel's 'date' in Amsterdam. I love this song more for that scene than for the music, but it's a good song nonetheless. I can already imagine this playing in the background if one of my novels ever becomes a movie.

Favourite lyric:
// I'm in love with you
Shout it to the void
I know you'll hear me soon
And it will hear me more //

9) The Funeral // Band of Horses


I am clueless as to the exact meaning of the song. Whose funeral are we talking about? And was this song foreshadowing the death of the Mother? If so, why didn't any of the fans realise it sooner?
Either way, a very dramatic song that I love.

Favourite lyric:
// I'm coming up only to show you're down for
And coming up only to show you're wrong
To the outside, the dead leaves lay on the lawn
For they don't have trees to hang upon //

10) Fire Meet Gasoline


This video is essentially a lingerie ad that makes no sense. What's with the bloody rock? What are Heidi and her boyfriend planning? Why is their house burned down? Is that Sia in the end or Heidi pretending to be Sia? Or is Heidi actually Sia?
But what an explosive song about love. Dayyum.

Favourite lyric:
// Strike the match, strike the match now
We're a perfect match, perfect somehow
We were meant for one another
Come a little closer //
_______________________________________________________________________

So these are some songs I play every day while making breakfast, while I'm in the shower, while I'm taking the stairs to class, while I'm writing... pretty much all the time.
What about you? Which songs have captured your heart? Do you have any recommendations for me? What did you think of Adele's new video?

See you around, Geeks! :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! Will listen to 'em when I take a study break.

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)