Friday, 4 December 2015

How to Choose the Right College (Ft. CollegeDunia)

 
They say that life is the greatest teacher. After all, what are tests and projects in comparison to experience, hardship and turmoil?
That being said, we can't live off experience and the wise words of our own mind. Learning and education ought to go hand in hand, and a great place for that to happen is college.

I've been in college for almost two years, and looking back, I realise now that my decisions to choose a college and course were rather hasty. I didn't plan anything in advance. I knew where I wanted to be in five years (writing), but I didn't think about what I had to do to get there.

Instead, I went with the flow. Granted, I didn't opt for engineering or medicine like many of my Indian brethren, but I still chose business, which is what my sister had done, over writing or psychology or anything that actually interested me.
I'm not saying that BBA is the wrong course for me - learning about marketing helps me as a blogger, and everyone ought to be able to handle their finances - but I am saying that I could have made a better decision, a decision that didn't make me have anxiety attacks every other week.


But hey, I still have time to choose the right college after I get my undergrad degree. I can still become a psychologist. A journalist. A writer. A linguist. A forensic scientist (okay, fine, that won't ever happen unless I develop an aptitude for science overnight). I can become anything I set my mind to. All I need to do is make the right decision.

And that's where CollegeDunia comes in. It's a recent startup that's trying to help students pick the right college and make their lives better. It lists over ten thousand Indian colleges and their various courses, entrance exams, and requirements. You also have users coming in and reviewing their alma mater.

I've been considering social science universities for after I graduate, and this website has been really useful. They even categorise colleges according to place, exams or fees. I tried looking up colleges that offer a master's degree in psychology in Mumbai, and I found two. The only issue was that CollegeDunia's information was a little lacking with respect to admission requirements. I had to check the university websites to find out that without a bachelor's in arts, there was no way I could study the human mind.


Still, it helped narrow my search and give me extensive information on colleges and their entrance exams without having to go through multiple websites.
For example, if you're still in high school and considering B.Com (which is pretty useful if you like numbers), you can find information on all B.Com entrance exams for different months of the year on the website.

Even if you're already in college, or almost done with your education, or stuck in a job you don't like so much, remember that this is still your life, and nobody can stop you from doing what you love. I may not know what turn my life will take after I graduate, but I do know that I'll still be blogging and writing and learning and working out and doing all the things that make me feel alive.

How did you decide what you wanted to study, Geeks? Do you think you made the right choice? If not, what are you planning to do about it? Let me know in the comments below.


Note: This post was sponsored by CollegeDunia.

3 comments:

  1. This has been very useful... I'm in a really confused state regarding my future right now, so I guess this website will help. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)