Thursday, 18 February 2016

'Famous in Love (Famous in Love #1)' by Rebecca Serle: A Book Review

She fell in love with him in the books - now she has the chance to star opposite him in the film...
Paige doesn't think she's particularly special, but after getting the starring role in a massive film adaptation of the bestselling Locked trilogy, the rest of the world would disagree. Now she's thrown into the spotlight, and into a world of gossip, rumour and deceit. The only people who know what she's going through are her two male co-stars, and they can't stand the sight of each other. Paige knows it's a mistake to fall in love on the set of a movie, but days of on-screen romance and intensity start to change her mind. The question is, can she keep what happens behind the scenes a secret when the world is watching her every move?

Okay. This book. Wow.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't be this affected by a clichéd young adult romance about the glitz and the glamour of Hollywood actors' lives. Ordinarily, I wouldn't be consumed by this need to read the book end-to-end and turn the pages (figuratively, I read on a Kindle) with so much fervour.

But I suppose this is no ordinary book.


Famous in Love is a literal title. Paige Townsen, a small-town girl, gets picked to star in the movie adaptation of a bestselling novel. That's when she meets her perfect Hollywood hero, Rainer Devon, a blonde, blue-eyed star who can turn you into a puddle of goo with just one smile. And things seem to be going great. She's into him, he's fallen for her, and her acting skills, while on edge, aren't abysmal. 

And then enters the real hero of the story. Ladies and gentlemen, your characteristic bad boy filmstar, Jordan Wilder, comes into the picture to steal her heart and all her senses and make her the best actress she's even been. 
When we touch, I feel it again. Like the final puzzle piece snapped down into place. But it doesn't matter now. It's like an umbrella in the middle of a rainstorm after you're already wet. It's exactly what you need, what you want, but it's come too late. 

Love triangles are a guilty pleasure of mine. Insta-love is not. But even though Paige's relationship with both boys - but especially Jordan - borders on insta-love, I found myself desperately in love with the way romance is written in this novel. Rebecca has some talent. This book is both age-appropriate and sexy at the same time, something I haven't seen in a lot of good young adult romance. 

Of course, I'm Team Jordan, if anyone's asking, and I'm already sure he's the one she picks (the girl always picks the second guy. Always. Um, except in Twilight.), because Jordan Wilder is bruised, damaged, guarded and utterly swoonworthy. What more does a girl want?


I didn't care much for Paige's friends back home - they just seemed like background noise, to be very honest - although I did enjoy reading about her family and the trinkets store she works at. I'm also guilty of loving Bollywood and Hollywood gossip in the past, and of wondering about the lifestyle famous people might lead (and yes, fantasising about being famous myself one day, though being in the spotlight terrifies me, which may be why I have a blog and not a YouTube channel), so this book was definitely of interest to me. 

Rebecca Serle seems to use a lot of metaphors, but she picked just the right amount to avoid falling into John Green territory. I loved the clever wordplay, the way she sparked chemistry between Jordan and Paige (I don't care about Rainer. Yawn.), and just the way she wrote the thoughts running through the protagonist's head.

People always say that there are a million ways to solve a problem, that no question has a black-and-white answer. It's not true. There are, at any moment, only two courses of action. The one that leads you toward something - stardom, love, disaster - or the one that leads you away from it. And at any moment, in any instant, you have to do your best to know which is which.

There wasn't a lot of plot, so to speak, since the story only follows the timeline of the first movie's shooting, but there wasn't a moment where I felt bored. I was sucked into the word of Famous in Love (I even dreamt about it last night, and that very rarely happens to me with books) and I didn't want to come out. 

I'm going to go with 4 stars out of 5 for this one. 
Famous in Love is clichéd and occasionally cringe-y, yes, but it is also power-packed with mighty chemistry, surprising plot twists and the kind of gossip you can only find in tabloids. A must-read for anyone who loves the odd combination of romance and celebrity magazines. 

I'm off to search for the next book in the series, Geeks! I doubt I'll have time to read it this week, since I'm busy with some beta reading and ARC reviewing, but a girl can hope, right? 
If you've read Famous in Love, tell me in the comments below what you thought of it. Which guy do you think she'll settle for in the end? And are you excited about the TV show that's apparently starring Bella Thorne? 

See you soon. Bye! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)