Thursday, 4 February 2016

What's On My Playlist (January 2016)

It's been a while since I've done one of these, huh? Probably because October and November were months of great discovery, and I carry the songs I found in those months to my daily playlist even today.
But I have discovered even more brilliant symphonies in the last few days of January, so here I am with my top ten playlist. This time, it features Sia, Cristin Milioti, 2AM Club and Coldplay!


1) Broken Glass | Sia


It turns out that the album This is Acting is composed almost entirely of rejected songs that were written by Sia for other artists. Well, those artists' loss is Sia's gains. This album is fantastic!

Favourite lyric:
// I'm not discarding you like broken glass
There are no winners when the die is cast
There's only tears when it's the final dance
So don't give up, it's just young lovers' romance //

2) La Vie En Rose | Cristin Milioti


This was quite possibly the best HIMYM episode, with the perfect ending: a song by none other than the Mother. Tracy's rendition of La Vie En Rose still gives me chills whenever I listen to it.

Favourite lyric:
// And when you speak, angels sing from above
Everyday words seem
To turn into love songs //
3) Footprints | Sia


This is a sweet song about realising that people are always there for you in the end. It's more bittersweet than sad, so it makes for a nice change, doesn't it?

Favourite lyric:
// And I saw only two footprints in the sand
Thought you'd abandoned me and
Let go of my hand
But you were carrying me
Carrying me to safety //

4) Let Me Down Easy | 2AM Club


I discovered 2AM Club through one of the first few episodes of Pretty Little Liars, and I still listen to their music every now and then. This song is just a fun dance number that I like to belt out when I'm home alone.

Favourite lyric:
// When I heard my phone start ringin'
She was like, 'don't pick it up
'Cause tonight I ain't in love
And I just can't deal with nobody's trust //

5) House On Fire | Sia


It's probably because of the title, but this song gives me serious Fire Meet Gasoline vibes. Sia's love songs are always so intense and passionate. Not your typical fun pop song, no, sir. Love it!

Favourite lyric:
// So take me to the heavens now
As we burn down, as we are found
Take me to the heavens now
My heart screams out
I need you, I need you
Baby I want to breathe you in
Like oxygen, like oxygen //

6) Space Between | Sia


If I had to prove to someone that Sia can sing, this is the song I'd make them listen to. From rises to dips, this song has it all. Slow, mournful and beautiful, Space Between is one of the best tracks on the album.

Favourite lyric:
// No one's moving, we lack the courage to
We lay in stalemate, wishing the other would
But we're too tired, we're at the ember's core
No more fighting, there's no more fighting
There's no more fighting for us //

7) Hymn For The Weekend | Coldplay Ft. Beyoncé


So much colour in this video. I love the depiction of incredible India in all its vibrance and sunshine (and I don't think it's cultural appropriation at all). Beyoncé's voice brings a femininity to this song that I very much appreciate. Plus, Sonam Kapoor's in this video! What's not to love?

Favourite lyric:
// Life is a drink, and love's a drug
Oh now I think I must be miles up
When I was a river, dried up
You came to rain a flood //

8) Unstoppable | Sia

This song gives me so much hope, Geeks. It's like this song was written for me to rise up from the ashes of my bad days and keep living. Sia's lyrics are powerful, uplifting and simply incredible. This one also reminds me a lot of Alive, another Sia favourite of mine.

Favourite lyric:
// I'm unstoppable
I'm a Porsche with no brakes
I'm invincible
Yeah, I win every single game
I'm so powerful
I don't need batteries to play //

9) Bird Set Free | Sia


Apparently this song was written for the Pitch Perfect 2 soundtrack, but was later replaced by Flashlight. I'm not sure why, because Bird Set Free is all about singing without limits, and I think it would have been the perfect a capella finale song. But then again, Flashlight is a more appropriate song, I guess, since Pitch Perfect 2 is supposed to be a light-hearted flick.

Favourite lyric:
// And I don't care if I sing off key
I find myself in my melodies
I sing for love, I sing for me
I shout it out like a bird set free //

10) Move Your Body | Sia


I wonder whom this song was written for... Shakira, maybe? It's unlike Sia's usual slow, deep, intense songs. This one is all about the beat and the rhythm. Again, another song that makes me want to dance in my room when nobody's watching.

Favourite lyric:
// Your body's poetry, speak to me
Won't you let me be your rhythm tonight
Move your body, move your body
I wanna be your muse, your music
Let the movement be the rhythm tonight //
__________________________________________________________________________

I have a feeling 2016 is going to be an incredible year for music, judging by this playlist - I'm absolutely in love with it!
Which songs have you been bopping your head to this month, or rather, this year? Let me know in the comments below.
Au revoir!

2 comments:

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)