Saturday, 28 May 2016

'My Last Love Story' by Falguni Kothari: A Book Review


I, Simeen Desai, am tired of making lemonade with the lemons life has handed me.
Love is meant to heal wounds.
Love was meant to make my world sparkle and spin.
Love has ripped my life apart and shattered my soul.
I love my husband, and he loves me.
But Nirvaan is dying.
I love my husband. I want to make him happy.
But he is asking for the impossible.
I don’t want a baby.
I don’t want to make nice with Zayaan.
I don’t want another chance at another love story. 

Note: I received a copy of this book from the publishers in exchange for an honest review. 

Love triangles have always interested me. Yes, they're clichéd and occasionally gruelling to read, but hey! I've written love triangles myself. So of course I love the idea of them. 

Falguni Kothari's book promised a dramatic and emotional love triangle, judging by its plot blurb. A dying husband, a helpless wife and the strong but silent best friend - what more could one ask for? 

And that's why it's so surprising that I didn't feel a lot of emotions during my read. No tears were shed, Geeks, and only a few smiles were shared. Why? I don't know. I cry while reading practically every book.

Maybe because the love triangle in this book was actually a threesome of sorts. And hey, I'm open-minded, but some things still do make me uncomfortable. Especially adult romances written in explicit detail. But that's not the book's fault - such things just don't appeal to me. 

Anyway, moving on to the good stuff: the book is pretty well-written, with no grammatical errors at all (phew!) and some really thought-provoking quotes. 
"For all its ugliness, the world was a beautiful place."  

"Denial was a handy thing. It fooled oneself into believing that pumpkins were carriages."

"There was a life truth that I'd come to realise all on my own. That the vices we abhorred in people we hated became virtues in the ones we loved."


I liked Simeen's internal struggles, Nirvaan's desperate hold on life and Zayaan's quiet support. This is a very character-driven story, with not much happening in the plot. No dramatic reveals, nothing shocking or horrifying except one small flashback scene. But the characters held themselves very well, and I could easily imagine the movie version of this book in my head as I was reading.

The ending was what I expected it to be, and it made sense, too, more or less, and I closed the book on a good note. The last line especially was great.

I'm going to go with 3.5 stars out of 5 for this one.
Fans of cancer love stories are sure to like this one, and it might definitely make them cry. But this book just didn't work well enough for me.


What kinds of books do you like reading, Geeks? Are you planning to read this one? Let me know what book you're currently reading in the comments below. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)