Monday, 7 August 2017

I Quit My Job... But I Graduated! // Just a Random Update #12

Okay, the first part of that title probably comes as a bit of a shock to most of you. My Facebook and WhatsApp friends know I started working with a reputed ad tech company in late June. It is now early August, and... I am unemployed.


Okay, that's the wrong term. I have my own freelancing business. So that makes it *self-employed. Yes, that's better. 

Most of you must be wondering why I gave up within a month of starting a new job, why I didn't give it more time, why I didn't suck it up and work because that's what everyone does, right? Some of you may also be wondering why I would post about it on social media. But I'm kinda sick of explaining to everyone why I quit, so I figured this ought to make things clear.


The company's great, don't get me wrong, although I'm not giving away any names. The people are sweet, the butler service fantastic and the travel time almost zero. Buuuuuuut... the job itself was a little too much for me to handle. There was so much workload, and I was at work nine hours a day, so I had to give up on Geek Editing, my true passion, as well as writing and working out most days. And that wasn't healthy, for sure. It was taking a toll on my mental health, because the things that I gave up were the things that made me... me. How could I not do them? I couldn't imagine giving them up for the next two years, or however long I planned to work there. 

So. Yeah. I quit. 

I honestly don't care if it doesn't make sense to you, because it makes sense to me, and I do feel much lighter now. I've started freelancing again, and I recently finished writing my sixth romance novel, The Night We Met, which has been submitted to Carina Press as a proposal for their royal romance anthology. Fingers crossed! I also just started writing Beating Heart, the first book in my paranormal romance trilogy (A trilogy! I know! So cool!).


Coming to the next major change in my life... my convocation was two days ago, and I'm pleased to say that I got my BBA degree! I can call myself a graduate at last! It feels surreal, because the first two years of college were practically hell for me, and I'd considered dropping out more than once. But, unlike the job scene, I'm glad I pulled through, because maybe having a business degree will help me build my publishing empire. If not, there's always the option to enroll for a book publishing postgraduate course, which I'm planning to do in the near future along with my freelancing. 

I'm also considering going from a freelancer to a legit business, but I have my reservations because the transition is not going to be easy. But maybe it's something I have to do if I want to make it big. Besides, Geek Editing will become Geek Publishing sooner or later. And that will mean registering as a business. Why not do it now?

There have been so many changes in my life in the past few months, that I've decided to put my YouTube channel on hold. I mean, I never started one, and I don't even have a camera... but the thought had definitely crossed my mind a few times. Anyway, once I'm settled and used to my new routine, Swati the Geek is going to be a reality. Be prepared for videos that will help you become a better writer, a happier and more motivated person, and live a better life, all while laughing your ass off (because, let's face it, I'm hilarious). I really hope I can make a difference through my blog and channel. :)

I think that's all I want to say for now. 

What's going on with you, Geeks? Any major changes in your life? What kind of blog posts or videos would you like me to write or make? Let me know in the comments below or on Facebook

See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. That's nice Swati keep it up hope your decision helps you to achieve the success you want 😊

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)